Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Graduate School Spring Admission

0mar210mar21 Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited November 2008 in Graduate School
Hi,

I would like to know if schools generally accept students who apply for spring admission(Starting January), i plan on applying for a PhD in chemical engineering.

Thanks
Post edited by 0mar21 on

Replies to: Graduate School Spring Admission

• WilliamCWilliamC Posts: 785Registered User Member
    No. Graduate admissions are almost always for Fall only.
  • tenisghstenisghs Posts: 3,955Registered User Senior Member
    PhD admissions are always Fall only.

Some less selective Master's programs have winter/spring or rolling admissions, but the majority offer Fall admissions. The most selective Master's programs generally offer Fall only admissions.
  • sheelo81sheelo81 Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    Since when was a rolling admissions policy predicated on a Master's programs selectivity?

What are some of the other factors that could influence why a department chooses to adopt a rolling policy?
  • belevittbelevitt Posts: 2,005Registered User Senior Member
    Most of the programs that I am looking at allow for a "summer rotation". That is, you can begin your first rotation early in the summer which effectively begins grad school only a few months later than if you were to start in the spring. You could probably ask around at the places you are applying if they do this.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    I know a person or two here at Caltech in Materials Science that started in the Spring quarter. It was good for them since they were able to take a few classes, get into the lab over the summer, and then be pretty prepared by the time fall rolled around.

When I was graduating a semester early all of the professors I asked for recommendations wanted to know if I was applying for spring or fall admissions as well, so I imagine there are some schools that take people for both.