Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Thank you letters for PhD program interviews?

LAC operonLAC operon Posts: 231Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2010 in Graduate School
I am wondering if I should write thank you notes to people I interviewed with after I have returned home from a grad school recruitment weekend (of course I thanked the person thoroughly upon leaving his or her office). I met with so many faculty (7+) - would I send a note to each person or choose a few (I don't want to look like I like some people more than others but not every professor has similar research interests as mine)? Is it a big faux pas if I don't send notes?
Post edited by LAC operon on

Replies to: Thank you letters for PhD program interviews?

• kryptonsa36kryptonsa36 Posts: 1,735Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think it is a faux pas, necessarily, but sending follow-up correspondence seems to be advisable.

I think thank you's via e-mail also suffice in this situation, given the potentially large number of people you will have to contact.
  • psych_psych_ Posts: 1,418Registered User Senior Member
    I've sent email thank you notes to the people who have contact me for the interview (usually program directors or professors of interest).
  • biomed2010biomed2010 Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    I am writing out my thank you notes and mailing them. Email is nice but the program I interviewed with is a top choice and I am interested in rotating with a few of the professors I met so sending a handwritten note seemed appropriate. I decided to send each person I met one so no one would feel I was rude to them. I think email is fine to. I just wanted to send a note that was tangible since I will likely matriculate there. I plan to email for my other programs.
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,207Super Moderator Senior Member
    I don't think it would be problematic to write to professors of particular interest, but not to those in whom you're less interested. Your interviewers are not likely to compare notes.
  • ec1234ec1234 Posts: 1,201Registered User Senior Member
    I sent follow up emails to some faculty members I was interested in rotating with-- by the time they get your written letters you have already probably heard your admissions decision