Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to "fix" low GPA for grad school admission?

myob12345myob12345 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited May 2010 in Graduate School
Hi all,

I am wondering if there is any way to "fix" having a low GPA (currently in fourth year, will be doing a fifth) of 2.8 to get into a BME graduate program. I realize that the acceptable GPA is > 3.0 and i think it can reach that mark upon graduation but worry that it is still rather low.

So my question is, will doing a non-degree graduate BME program (where they allow you to take 2-3 courses per semester at the graduate level) help at all if you can get A's in those courses perhaps while also doing research? I was thinking it would help to get some connections or recommendations from a BME grad program along with proving to adcom that you can succeed in graduate level courses. Or is the course load too light to matter?

Is there anything else that can be done to help off-set the low GPA? I know for med school there are special masters programs where you receive a masters while taking classes with med/doctoral students and it helps greatly in getting you accepted to that med school.

Post edited by myob12345 on

Replies to: How to "fix" low GPA for grad school admission?

• superseiyansuperseiyan Posts: 32Registered User Junior Member
    Forget about GPA and GRE to an extent (just be above national average on GRE, don't stress about being perfect) reason is that IF (if if if) you have work experience in your field, and you can get outstanding recommendations, and you can demonstrate in your statement of purpose that you know where your'e going, you'll get in somewhere. I got into a school that I "shouldn't have" based on the stats, but I have work experience in the field, and my career goals are clearly defined and I was able to communicate that I'm serious, and I have plans that I intend to experience.

Have a vision, and the statement of purpose should be one that only you could've written.

Just apply to a safety or two, and then go for 3-4 that are "above" your reach on paper. You'll be surprised.

Statistics are good just to know what your'e up against, but don't live your life based on statistics. You, and I are not abstract numbers or figures on a chart.

Basically, go ALL IN on the letters of recommendation and Statement. Give recommenders enough time, try and get the most senior people possible that can write a credible recommendation. Have one the statement of purpose stick to Stick to only one qualified person to review your statement through the process.