Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

GRE ETS Book- too easy?

TheCity010500TheCity010500 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in GRE Prep
Hello everybody,
I read a few answers here and it looks like the ETS book is really good. I have the PowerPrep CD too, BUT, a few days ago I tried the quantitative part. I didn't read the Math part of the book, i didn't take it seriously and I didn't put much of an effort in answering and calculating.
I got a 730/800 which in the new scale would be a 157 which in percentile would be a bit above 71.

Now I have three Universities in mind for a Ms in Forensic and they are John Jay College in NY, University of New Haven and George Washington in DC.

Only UNH asks for a Quantitative falling on or above 70 percentile and i managed to get it (if i made the right conversion using the tables) without worrying much and without thinking much, just out of curiosity.

A friend who took the test told me it was harder than the book so i was wondering, is the ETS book maybe too easy?
Post edited by TheCity010500 on

Replies to: GRE ETS Book- too easy?

• andrew1007andrew1007 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    I'm the one that said the ETS book is good- and I really think it is. It's roughly the same difficulty- your friend may have panicked in a way he didn't for the powerprep since his score actually mattered that time. I took the test about 3 months ago, and I think its spot on.

70 percentile is very easy to get if you're mathematically inclined- just make sure you practice and I'm sure your score will go up by a lot. The ETS book put me between 164-167 for math, and I got a 165.
  • TheCity010500TheCity010500 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Thank you very much. I'll stick to it then