Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

800 Quantitative - Miss 1 or 2?

BoelterHallBoelterHall Posts: 2,926Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2009 in GRE Prep
Can you get an 800 on Quantitative if you miss 1? How about 2?

I can't find the ETS composite score tables for recent GRE tests anywhere online, I can only find that in 1992, you can miss 2 and still get 800.

Anyone have idea?
Post edited by BoelterHall on

Replies to: 800 Quantitative - Miss 1 or 2?

• safetypin00safetypin00 Posts: 351Registered User Member
    I just wrote the GRE and I guessed the last two questions because I had no time. The first one was an educated guess, I knew it couldn't be like two of the options, but still, a guess, the last one was a total guess - and it was an easy question too! I just had like 5 seconds left. I got 800. Now, maybe by some weird chance I got them both right, but that's a preeeeeeeeeeeeeettty small chance. And I wasn't sure of my answers for some questions mid-way through either!
  • aussiek517aussiek517 Posts: 325Registered User Member
    Yes-- I missed 2 of the first 6 quantitative questions and scored an 800. It seems like answering questions consecutively is more important than getting the first X number right.
  • BoelterHallBoelterHall Posts: 2,926Registered User Senior Member
    I actually to the paper exam. Do they have the same composite scoring?
  • apumicapumic Posts: 1,529Registered User Senior Member
    Every test will be different in what it takes to obtain a given score. For the CAT, it is the first few test items that matter most. The last few questions hardly matter, so getting the last 2 wrong might give you a 790 but if you have everything up 'til that perfect, you'll probably end up pretty darn close to an 800.
    The paper test is different as it's not a CAT. Look at the official ETS GRE practice manual (10th ed.) for more info on the paper scoring.
  • MasterMoeMasterMoe Posts: 238Registered User Junior Member
    The timing and the type of question matter A LOT more than the amount of questions you get wrong.

If you get most of the first 7 or so questions correctly and from there on in you get every 4th question wrong, you can still get a very high score--possibly an 800.

I got an 800Q and I seriously doubt I made less than 4 mistakes. I flat out guessed about 4 or 5 questions and had 2 questions I wasn't certain about. But they were all spread out.

Answering every 4th or 5th question wrong won't hurt you as much as a string of wrong answers because the CAT will maintain the difficulty.
  • BoelterHallBoelterHall Posts: 2,926Registered User Senior Member
    Look at the official ETS GRE practice manual (10th ed.) for more info on the paper scoring.

Thanks for all the responses. I've looked at the ETS GRE Practice Manual (10th ed) and it shows score breakdown for exams before 1992. Can miss 1-3 and still receive 800.

However, that's 1992 and before. Was wondering if anyone could look up the practice paper exam that you get when you sign up for GRE (not the Powerprep CD) ... and let me know what the composite scores to get 800 for Quantitative. I don't have that on me right now.