I'm an Egyptian residing in Saudi Arabia, and I'm very interested in applying to Grinnell, so just as an indicator, I'd like to see what you think of my chances. Any feedback, tips, or advice is very much appreciated
GPA: 4.0 unweighted (Our school's GPA system is out of 100, and my current GPA is 99.6 so I think that's a 4.0 no?)
SAT1: R 650, W 580 (yes, shameful, I know. Working on it), M 720, total 1950. I'm gonna take it again in December.
Unfortunately our school doesn't offer IB or AP so I don't have any of those.
- Best Project award at FLL OEC 2010 Istanbul.
- Technical robot design runner-up award, Teamwork runner-up award at FLL OEC 2011 in Delft, Netherlands.
- Saudi Arabia Robocup champions 2007, Saudi representatives at Robocup international in Georgia Tech (though I don't know if that counts seeing that it wasn't during highschool)
- Loads of local/national prizes in Saudi Arabia. We have a full trophy cabinet lol
- Played soccer for as long as I can remember. Team captain.
- Basketball in grades 11 and 12
- Swimming in grade 9
- Worked in organizing a summer program for kids ages 6-12 in my school in summer of 2008
- Lab Assistant at a Robtics Center in summer of 2009
- Teacher Assistant in an Electrical Engineering course designed for gifted students aged 17-18 given at a Robotics center in 2010
I should point out that the robotics center was the one where I was taught all the robotics/electronics I know, so they thought I was good enough to work as a lab assistant on the first year and a TA on the second. Don't know if this counts for anything but I was the youngest staff member in both of the years I worked with them on. Do you think I should mention that or would it sound too pompous/excessive?
- Made a little Electrical-engineering-based invention and I'm gonna apply for a patent. Though, to be fair, with hindsight, I think it's not very efficient, but oh well, the journey of making it was great, even if the end result wasn't very useful/handy.
- Organized TEDx events in Saudi Arabia.
- Volunteered in Resala foundation in Egypt, as well as many others in Saudi. I don't have count but I'd say it's definitely over 200 hours of community service. Most notable activities were/are fundraising to help people in slums in Saudi Arabia and helping people below the poverty line in Egypt.
- Participated in several MUN and GIN conferences, local and international. Say about 6 or 7. PS: I won the award for " best smile ". Having a good smile on campus is appreciated, no? xD
- Participated as a presenter in lots of scientific exhibits, mostly presenting about/advertising robotics.
- I play guitar, self taught.
- I'm a DJ, as well as an Electronic music (trance, house) producer. Also self taught.
I have big plans scheduled for next year, but I didn't mention them above because they're still not complete, some of which include:
- starting a tutoring club at school next year.
- organizing a few TEDx events.
- starting a fundraiser for Somalia, and ones to build wells in Africa.
- Organizing an MUN conference for college students, because the MUN culture is almost exclusively spread amongst highschools around here.
- Giving practice at my school for the RAM1 test, the Saudi-colleges equivalent of the SAT.
Looking back, I think I could've done better for my CV, but oh well, better late than never. Sorry if I kept on blabbering for too long