Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Preppy? Emo? Earthy/Crunchy? Hipster? How would you describe Hartwick?

nycnyc Posts: 1,355Registered User Senior Member
edited March 2009 in Hartwick College
On an earlier theread, one Hartwick parent posted, "There is also a bit of an earthy influence. . . . [and] Hartwick is obviously not prepped out in the sense of some other schools my D's considered such as Colby, Bowdoin, Ursinus, Dickinson, Skidmore, ect."

But other than the earthy/crunchy influence, is Hartwick very "straight?" We are looking to add a couple of schools thatare more structured that the Hampshire, Bennington and the other hipster schools, but that still have at least a critical mass of edgy students.

Hartwick offers much of what D is looking for in terms of social fit: not too far from home, some racial diversity (D is black) and a walkable campus where she won't need a car; but I not sure there will be enough like-minded hippie (not artsy) students for D to feel comfortable.

So how would you describe the Hartwick student body?
Post edited by nyc on

Replies to: Preppy? Emo? Earthy/Crunchy? Hipster? How would you describe Hartwick?

• Dado2grlsDado2grls Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    You can get a taste for the student body by surveying the town on Main St. It is a little bit of everything with a tilting to the left side of the spectrum and off the beaten path.

Judging from my D's connections, I don't think I would lable the student body as 'straight' in the sense of walking on a narrow path of life. All seem to cut a wider swathe of individuality.