Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Official Harvard SCEA Class of 2017

AaronyahAaronyah Posts: 105Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2013 in Harvard University
Write if you're applying SCEA to Harvard and other schools you may apply to.
Post edited by Aaronyah on

Replies to: Official Harvard SCEA Class of 2017

• exultationsyexultationsy Posts: 1,100Registered User Senior Member
    Golly I feel old.
  • miaagemiaage Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    wow, I can't believe our class already has it's own thread. This is happening way too fast.

October:
    Harvard SCEA
    UC Berkeley
    UCLA
    USC
    UMich EA
    UT Austin EA
    UC SD
    U of Minnesota
    U of I

Jan 1st:
    Cornell
    Carnegie Mellon
    Columbia
    Stanford
    Northwestern
    Wake Forest
  • alexissssalexissss Posts: 2,177Registered User Senior Member
    I am.

Emory
    WashU
    Brown
    Princeton
    UPenn
    Stanford
    Williams
    Amherst
    Notre Dame
    Duke
    Rice
    Yale
    Dartmouth
    Cornell
    Columbia
    UChicago

I might add to that.
    Btw, I already graduated, I'm just taking a gap year.

Can I apply to other schools EA/SCEA? Is SCEA binding?
  • CPUscientist3000CPUscientist3000 Posts: 5,443Registered User Senior Member
    miaage and alexissss- no, you cannot apply to any other schools EA unless (1) they are your own STATE PUBLIC schools, or (2) if you would definitely hear back after Harvard released decisions.

You are definitely NOT allowed to apply anywhere ED.

I am not totally sure about (2), but I think it's true. For instance, U Miami has an EA deadline of Dec 1, and you hear back in early February.

exultationsy, I'm a Harvard '16er and I already feel old.
    I'm taking a huge risk then. T_T
    This is just my opinion (and strategy I used):

Apply to reachy schools RD. Do EA (regular EA not SCEA or REA) and rolling to as many schools as possible. That way, you've secured scholarships/admissions to "fall-backs". Always nice to have a few in your pocket in December.

Also, the EA round for those kinds of schools are filled with recruited athletes (who have already been accepted months ago) and top, top students.

Good luck.
    I definitely do NOT miss any of that. Haha.
  • rr5001rr5001 Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    Someone please tell me that SCEA does not mean Single-Choice Early Action. If it does, I can still apply EA to other schools right??
    I was going to do this, but doesn't SCEA increase chances?
    Also, I want to know earlier so I can focus on my other apps to schools within reach RD.
    rr5001- there's nothing else college-related that SCEA could stand for.

alexissss- the admit rates for EA are only "higher" (and not even by much) is because of the reasons I stated above about who applies EA.

Focus on schools out of reach more. You don't need to spend time polishing your application for safeties. They probably don't even require supplemental essays.

Of the EA schools I applied to (UMiami, UConn, UPitt, Northeastern, MIT) only MIT required essays. The 7 RD schools required extensive essays.
    Oh, OK.

Nearly all of my schools are reaches, I don't have safeties. I guess I'll just work really hard. I'll still apply SCEA to H and RD to everything else.

This is scary. LOL
    No, that's bad. You really need safeties. Especially since you took a year off, they're gonna wanna know what you've been doing.
    •﹏•

Oh, goodness. Well, I'm trying to volunteer at my local hospital. I've been so engrossed in finding a job and a place to live for the past month.

I'll find some safeties soon.
    Everything will be fine, even if it's not what you want (attending a CC or commuting to local, cheap state school).
  • miaagemiaage Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    @CPUscientist3000

If I apply single choice early action to Harvard may I apply to another college's Early Action program that is not single choice?
    No - unless the college is a public institution.
    If I apply single choice early action to Harvard may I apply to another college's Early Decision program?
    You may not apply simultaneously to Harvard's Early Action program and another college's Early Decision program. However, after you receive notification from Harvard's Early Action program (around December 15), you are free to apply to any institution under any plan, including binding programs such as Early Decision II.
    If I apply single choice early action to Harvard may I apply to another school's rolling admission program?
    Yes. You may apply to any college or university with a non-binding rolling admissions process.
    I am eligible for scholarships at my home state's institution only if I apply Early Action. Am I allowed to apply to Harvard Single Choice Early Action as well as to my state school?
    Yes.
    May I apply EA to another public institution if it is not in my home state?
    Yes. You may apply to any public college/university.

source: Harvard College Admissions § Applying: Early Action
    @cpu

I suppose. Wish I would have tried more in school.