Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Harvard legacy question

readabook123readabook123 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited May 2013 in Harvard University
Can anyone on this forum group answer this question: Does a grandparent graduating from Harvard count as legacy, or it is only a parent grad? Thank you!
Post edited by readabook123 on

Replies to: Harvard legacy question

• SikorskySikorsky Registered User Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    Indeed, anyone from this forum can answer that question. We've answered it dozens of times. (That's why there's a search function!)

The answer is, no, a grandparent doesn't help.

Here's what Harvard says on its own web site (another place you should have searched):
    Are a student's chances of admission enhanced if a relative has attended Harvard?

The application process is the same for all candidates. Among a group of similarly distinguished applicants, the daughters and sons of College alumni/ae may receive an additional look.

Harvard College Admissions § Applying: Frequently Asked Questions

So, Harvard says only parents count, and only if they're graduates of Harvard College (not graduates of one of the graduate or professional schools), and even then, the legacy connection is worth only "an additional look."

I believe the "additional look" part. A lot of legacies do get into Harvard, but many, many more don't.

What Harvard doesn't say, but I believe nonetheless, is that there may also be some kind of bump for students who have a sibling who's a Harvard College student or alum. But that's just a hunch of mine.

And no benefit for a grandparent, sorry. Unless your grandparent is a Kennedy....
  • mssportsmssports Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    they didn't ask anything on the application regarding your legacy when my son applied this year. How do you show your legacy when there is no questions on the app.? maybe thorough interview?
  • SikorskySikorsky Registered User Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/Docs/DownloadForms/2013/2013AppFY_download.pdf

Take a look at page 2 of the Common Application. It asks for the applicant's parents' "College (if any)" and "Graduate School (if any)."

That's how they know.
This discussion has been closed.