Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UC vs IVY LEAGUE

Astro662Astro662 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
edited October 2010 in Harvard University
WHICH IS BETTER................. Academics? Sports? Location? Social scene? Rep?
Forget the rankings, among students only....I would go to one of the UC's such as Berkeley, Ucla or UCSD....but i'ma west coast student so i'm wondering if any east coast students would think the UC system could compare to the Ivy's or will its academics have a rep comparable to the Ivy's in 10 years.
Post edited by Astro662 on

Replies to: UC vs IVY LEAGUE

• barfdog17barfdog17 Posts: 249Registered User Junior Member
    Ivy > UC. I live in Fremont, CA and I'm saying this. Academics: It all depends on what you're looking for, UC's tend to have a broad spectrum of things as do Ivies but at Berkley the average freshman class is a 500 person lecture. My math teacher told me his linear algebra class had 900 people in it.

Sports: Unless you look at The Game or the Harvard-Cornell hockey rivalry there are only a few other sports focuses whereas the UC's are pretty into it with the PAC10 and all.
    Location: I personally love California, but I also love Boston and most of New England. All college towns are different, all college towns are the same. Dinner...Ill postmore later
  • hereiamhereiam Posts: 260Registered User Junior Member
    dumb...

ucs cant even come close to the ivys.
  • californiakidcaliforniakid Posts: 328- Member
    I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life...My high school is practically a feeder school to UCB. Go there if you want a cheap instate tuition with a good overall education. But it's public--the classes at each UC are exactly the same...there's no difference between Organic Chemistry at UCSD versus at UCB. And the class size is ridiculous. 6,000? I would feel lost. Oh and the bureaucracy is supposed to be horrible.

But who can really say. Some of my friends are picking UCB over schools like Penn, Cornell, Columbia, Georgetown, and Princeton. Mostly because of Berkeley's strong engineering program.
  • candlizecandlize Posts: 713Registered User Member
    I dunno...
    I know a few people who picked UCs over schools like Swarthmore, Cornell, but that's because the UCs are such a bargain for in-state students. The main drawback I see with UCs are their ridiculous size... I have a friend who did not go to Berkeley after he sat in on a calculus class that had over 500 students.

I also prefer private universities tenfold over public universities for some of the reasons californiakid stated.

I personally also prefer the atmosphere of the east coast, but I'm biased... I picked Harvard.
  • sakkysakky Posts: 14,759- Senior Member
    I think that Berkeley compares well with some of the "lower" Ivies such as Cornell. If I was an in-state student, and I wasn't getting any substantial financial aid from any of my choices, I would probably pick Berkeley over a lower Ivy, primariliy for the cost.
  • hjacjswohjacjswo Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    wattt r ukidding
    i think none of the public schools are as good as any ivy in terms of overall general education.
  • sakkysakky Posts: 14,759- Senior Member
    That may be so, but the fact is, the UC's are dirt cheap for state residents. That's a pretty big deal for a lot of people.
  • DRabDRab Posts: 6,107Registered User Senior Member
    i think none of the public schools are as good as any ivy in terms of overall general education.

I've heard some Harvad students complain about the common core. Brown lacks any structured curriculum. What are you saying, exactly? What is within the "overall general" education?
  • yale08yale08 Posts: 70- Junior Member
    The instate cost is a great selling point for the UC's, and the education is fairly good as far as public schools go (you'll find ridiculously large classes at every public school). However, I don't know what kind of alumni connections the UC's offer...even the "lower" Ivies have an incredibly strong alumni network spread throughout the country. I guess it depends on what you want from your college.
    Wait, am I to understand that Harvard lacks any ridiculously large classes?
  • studentforeverstudentforever Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    Harvard probably does, but obviously not as much as the UC's. Let's face it: they're public schools...I don't see how you can compare them to the Ivy League Universities. In response to the OP's question, I live on the East Coast, and the UC's really aren't too well known. I guess the instate advantage is a big hook for the west coast kids.
    Probably does? Does. As does yale, cornell, you name it. Yes, UCs have it more, but it's ridiculous, annoying, and false when people at places like Harvard and Stanford claim these classes essentially do not exist, and characterize public schools as having almost every class as one of these.

I think many east coasters know Berkeley, and many UCLA. *shrug*
  • ballerinaballerina Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    "Probably does? Does. As does yale, cornell, you name it."

*As DO yale, cornell, you name it.

Sigh, I guess that's what a public education gives a student. Incorrect Grammar101. Class size: 6000.
    Haha yeah, my posts on the internet are an example of the quality of each and every public school's education. You should take a class on logic and reasoning. Perhaps you might be able to take your giant ego with you, as your class will have so few people in it that you might be able to fit it in the room.
  • hereiamhereiam Posts: 260Registered User Junior Member
    hahahahaha go publlik edukacion!!!