Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

The Importance of Intel

DayadhvamDayadhvam Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2004 in Harvard University
Hello. I was just wondering, how important is the Intel Science Talent Search in terms of admittance to Harvard?

Also, I was recently deferred Harvard EA. I have sci oly state medals, sci fair medals, several scholarship awards, math awards, violin awards, varsity debate, tennis, program foundings, six research experiences/three projects (one entered in Intel), research institute stuff, lots of international travel stuff, and various forms of community service.

Between now and mid-march, I basically know that I will do the following:
Qualify for Intel ISEF, win several regional/invitational sci oly medals and qualify for sci oly states, win a few other scholarship competitions (maybe advance to finalist standing in a few, like the coca-cola), and keep up with the community service stuff.

Will notifying the admissions committee of this stuff be enough to get me a leg up in terms of notice? Should I get extra recommendation letters as well? I can get two really good ones from a Sanskrit professor at the Univ of Mich and from a polymer chemist from Exatec Corporation. Would such efforts help or exasperate the Committee even more?

I'm not paying any attention to the Intel STS, assuming I won't semifinalize. Would not semifinalizing hurt my chances of admission even more...and truly, what are the statistics for deferral admits?? So much variance in posts.

Thanks. : )
Post edited by Dayadhvam on

Replies to: The Importance of Intel

• binarystarbinarystar Posts: 167- Junior Member
    Just keep them updated. It will only help.
  • sexydesisexydesi Posts: 1,992Registered User Senior Member
    well a grl from my school got into harvard with a 1100 something sat score but she was semi-finalist for intel..then again i go to the worse school in nyc..
  • Lakers08Lakers08 Posts: 493Registered User Member
    What are some of your math and violin awards?
  • DayadhvamDayadhvam Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    I play in a few community orchestras, including one that I founded to play at retirement homes. I have district and state first division ratings for solo & ensemble festivals, concertmaster and director's awards (but those are from my high school), and I teach lessons as well. For math, michigan math prize competition finalist. That just means among top 1000 math students in the state. (Sorry for the over-stating, if it was perceived that way). Ultimately, though, my strength lies in the research/chem stuff I've done. I hope to succeed at the University of Michigan--Ann Arbor. And in fact, perhaps success means just not allowing ambition to drive one up the wall. There's indeed a lifetime for everything...
  • thethoughtprocessthethoughtprocess Posts: 4,167Registered User Senior Member
    maybe they deffered you because of scores rather than EC achievements, since you have many many many great accomplishments as it is.
    Sat: 800v 770m
    Satii: 800, 770, 770
    Wow. I just called the admissions office. Turns out I wasn't deferred. They said that they haven't discussed my case yet, didn't know I applied early action. They apparently thought I was a regular decision applicant from the start.
    (I assumed I was deferred because on my application status, it said "regular action"--but the admissions officer I talked to said that even for deferred people, it still says EA). Is that true? I am so confused. How could they be so...like that?
  • selia27selia27 Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    Regarding Intel STS...I was deferred EA from Yale and I've also done science research stuff (I was a Siemen's semifinalist, and I will definitely go to ISEF). Anyway, I seriously doubt that if you don't become a semifinalist in STS, they will look at your app and think about the fact that you didn't qualify. While becoming a semifinalist will definitely help, I doubt that not becoming one will hurt you. But still, best of luck in becoming one...I've heard it's much harder to become a semifinalist in Intel than it is in Siemen's.