Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How safe is Cambridge, MASS?

harvardlawviolinharvardlawviolin Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2009 in Harvard University
Just out of curiosity...
Post edited by harvardlawviolin on

Replies to: How safe is Cambridge, MASS?

• PeytonclinePeytoncline Posts: 2,465Registered User Senior Member
    I would imagine it's pretty safe. I've never been there, so I don't know from first-hand experience. I know there are a number of tourists, but I haven't really heard of any safety issues.
  • smoda61smoda61 Posts: 2,012Registered User Senior Member
    Safe enough that I am willing to send my daughter there. Keep in mind Harvard is in a city next to an even bigger city. That alone makes it different from some small town out in the country. It does not have a reputation of being a dangerous place. We live 25-30 minutes away.
  • XX55XXXX55XX Posts: 1,014Registered User Member
    There was the shooting death of a Salem State College student at Harvard a few months ago, but I daresay that Cambridge is safe enough. Of course, you should always exercise personal vigilance, no matter where you are.
  • GAC1107GAC1107 Posts: 158Registered User Junior Member
    cambridge is a city and like all cities theres going to be crime and violence etc.
  • DwightEisenhowerDwightEisenhower Posts: 1,704Registered User Senior Member
    I'm a Massachusetts resident, a former Boston resident, and a Harvard freshman. Cambridge, like most cities, is safe if you're smart. I wouldn't suggest walking around by yourself at 3 AM, or walking around by yourself in certain areas at any time at night.
  • ncmentorncmentor Posts: 1,346Registered User Senior Member
    I lived in Cambridge for many years and a lot depends on what part of town your talking about... It's a small city but there are family, ethnic, student, inner city, and mansion neighborhoods. Most areas are fine with a few exceptions... You can ask about exact neighborhood anytime.
  • harvardlawviolinharvardlawviolin Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    What about the university area? I am aware of the shooting that took place in, what some call "a drug deal gone wrong", but I know from reading that it doesn't happen often, however, I was looking at a list of Ivy League crime, and the most of which happens at Harvard. I just wanted to ask about that.
  • White_RabbitWhite_Rabbit Posts: 947Registered User Member
    Most of which happens at Harvard?? I'm not sure what that is referring to, but I've always felt pretty safe in Cambridge. Safe enough to go running at 1 am. I think Yale, Columbia, UPenn, and Harvard all have campuses on which you have to be smart when walking around at night. That's just life in a city.
  • anbanb Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    Even at Princeton you need to be careful...I hear there are gangs that have been robbing the town and campus...