Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Calculate your chances for admission to Harvard?

NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2013 in Harvard University
Because I'm a Harvard alum and have been an alum interviewer, I have been asked many times to estimate individual CC members' chances, something that I do NOT do. However, as my holiday gift to everyone, I'm posting this so you can estimate your own chances.

Your chances of admission: about 7 in 100 (based on Harvard's acceptance rate this year). If you're an international applicant, your chances probably are less than that particularly if you come from a country like China, Korea or India, which has many outstanding students who apply to Harvard. Your chances probably are better than 7 in 100 if you come from a country that has few applicants to Harvard. You would know better than I would what those countries are. As is the case for everyone except probably the qualified offspring of multimillionaire donors, Harvard still is a longshot. Note: It's also a longshot for legacies. Many excellent legacies are rejected. I even know URM legacies who have been rejected.

If you have posted a chances thread on CC or have asked CC members to read your essays, your chances of admission to Harvard are probably less than 1 in 100 because your behavior here indicates you lack the confidence and critical thinking skills that Harvard seeks. This is true even if someone on CC predicted you'd easily be accepted or said that your essay was amazing.

If you've chosen your ECs and summer activities by selecting things that you think will impress Harvard, your chances of admission are probably less than 1 in 500. Harvard wants students who follow their own passions, not students who try to fit themselves into a Harvard box or whose only passion is getting a Harvard admission.

If you've ever asked CC members what activities you should participate in so you can impress Harvard or other colleges, your chances of admission are probably 1 in 1,000. You lack the initiative, confidence, creativity, passion and critical thinking skills that impress Harvard admissions officers.

If you are taking notes on this post and while calculating your Harvard chances, you can stop calculating now. Your chances of admission are 1 in a million.

Happy holidays!
Post edited by Northstarmom on

Replies to: Calculate your chances for admission to Harvard?

• bsDBer2010bsDBer2010 Posts: 449Registered User Member
    Hahahaha well put northstarmom :) I will pass this along to my parents and friends, who I'm sure will appreciate it as much as I.
  • stix2400stix2400 Posts: 1,092Registered User Senior Member
    "If you have posted a chances thread on CC or have asked CC members to read your essays, your chances of admission to Harvard are probably less than 1 in 100 because your behavior here indicates you lack the confidence and critical thinking skills that Harvard seeks. This is true even if someone on CC predicted you'd easily be accepted or said that your essay was amazing."

probably not.

In fact I'm sure it's quite the opposite. These people lack confidence simply because of the fact that you're right, the chances are 7 in 100. They have no real reason to be confident. But for people with the high SAT scores and GPA that characterize most of those threads? Statistics says they have a better chance of getting in. And I'm sure if you read the "results" threads more than 7 in 100 on CC get in. A lot more. A decent number of those probably did "what are my chances" threads.

then again, you may just be joking, in which case my chances are probably 1 in a billion. oh well
  • mathsciencedudemathsciencedude Posts: 1,802Registered User Member
    Northstarmom is just upset that she has 0 chance of getting into Harvard College.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
    "In fact I'm sure it's quite the opposite. These people lack confidence simply because of the fact that you're right, the chances are 7 in 100. They have no real reason to be confident. But for people with the high SAT scores and GPA that characterize most of those threads? Statistics says they have a better chance of getting in"

I say they have lower chances of getting in than do the people with similar stats who aren't trying to boost their own confidence through the silly method of asking high school students on an anonymous message board what their admissions chances are. They may as well be reading tea leaves.

My estimate of their chances, though was a guess -- and to some extent a joke since of course I don't really know their chances. :)

"Northstarmom is just upset that she has 0 chance of getting into Harvard College."

You've pegged my chances exactly right. :)
  • smoda61smoda61 Posts: 2,012Registered User Senior Member
    Good fun! Thanks NSM.
  • coureurcoureur Posts: 11,363Registered User Senior Member
    >>Northstarmom is just upset that she has 0 chance of getting into Harvard College.<<

I doubt she is upset, but you are right about her chances. Harvard doesn't admit people who have already graduated from Harvard.
  • CanadaMCanadaM Posts: 31Registered User New Member
    Haha....i love it!!!! Northstarmom i love your post!

btw 1 in a million is better than having no chance at all
  • luv2sk8luv2sk8 Posts: 368Registered User Member
    do you think it's a fair Xmas present Northstarmom? :( you know how that made me feel on this Xmas day? I just learned from your calculation that my chance to get it harvard is practically zero because I've done pretty much all those that reduced my chances.... lol that said it was a great post. I enjoyed it and great ideas. it shows the mind of a harvard alum and it makes me want to get in even more.
  • fledglingfledgling Posts: 4,256- Senior Member
    Excellent post. Now I'm glad I've refrained from making chances/essays/"what EC's should I do" threads, even after all this time I've been on CC! Truthfully, I don't think I'd get very good answers if I posted them in the first place. Thus far I've just been doing what I know I love doing, and what I think is the best for me. :D
    One addition to my original post: If you thought that my chances post was funny or good, then there's an 89% chance that you're either a Harvard student, a Harvard alum or a future Harvard alum. ;)
  • umcp11umcp11 Posts: 1,321Registered User Senior Member
    ""In fact I'm sure it's quite the opposite. These people lack confidence simply because of the fact that you're right, the chances are 7 in 100. They have no real reason to be confident. But for people with the high SAT scores and GPA that characterize most of those threads? Statistics says they have a better chance of getting in"

Yeah - that's what I thought when I initially read this.

"I say they have lower chances of getting in than do the people with similar stats who aren't trying to boost their own confidence through the silly method of asking high school students on an anonymous message board what their admissions chances are. They may as well be reading tea leaves."

I mean. whatever. Everyone is nervous and/or excited. It's just a way of releasing both positive and negative nerves. Also, many people do silly things to increase their confidence, even oh-so-special Harvard admits.

I found the post kind of funny, but also "full of myself" in a way that irked me O:

Yeah, that's right - I said it!
    "I found the post kind of funny, but also "full of myself" in a way that irked me O:

Yeah, that's right - I said it!"

No big deal, and probably is a typical reaction to Harvard humor. What Harvard people think is funny is snarky, and many other people view people with such humor as being full of themselves.
  • crazygirltraccrazygirltrac Posts: 59Registered User Junior Member
    I've never asked anyone on CC to read my essays nor have I posted a "chance me" thread.
    However, I find your criticism of those who do to be very rude and arrogant.
    What is wrong about asking advice from peers? And even if everything you said was fact, there's no need to put it so harshly, making people who have done the things you described feel like crap.
    I hope other Harvard students/alums are not like this.
  • umcp11umcp11 Posts: 1,321Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah, snarkiness isn't up there on my "most awesome personality traits" list.

But it's far more tolerable when it's coming from people you know are actually intelligent, since that means they're not a complete waste of space, so, snark away I guess.

(Of the 3 snarky people I know, two are intelligent and hilarious, and one is an idiot and I'm going to punch her in the face any day now...but the former should be careful not to say anything dumb accidentally!)
  • 11mkhan11mkhan Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    hahahahaha,
    very funny.... but true!