Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to Get Accepted into Harvard University

khankhankhankhankhankhan Posts: 59Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2011 in Harvard University
What does Harvard look for in its applicants? What do they find to be most important (grades, extracurriculars, jobs, volunteering, etc.)? Many people have told me that you have to be passionate about something, but how do you convey your passion in your college application?
Post edited by khankhankhan on

Replies to: How to Get Accepted into Harvard University

• Seeker99Seeker99 Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    Be yourself. This is something that takes four years to figure out in terms of communicating yourself to others. Something they take leaders, sometimes artists, sometimes musicians, so yes, be yourself. Debate captains have been rejected and so have seven-year musicians. I think superficiality in titles comes out strongly, so your essay HAS TO reflect that you obviously are seriously into what you do.

Sadly, nothing is really a guarantee--but Good Luck with your app!!
  • CC LurkerCC Lurker Posts: 592Registered User Junior Member
    I agree with Seeker99. Just go for it. Be completely and totally honest, and simply try to express yourself in your application. All your hopes and dreams and successes and talents--translate them into energetic, excited words, pour all your emotions into your essay, and the rest is up to luck!
  • intenexintenex Posts: 321Registered User Junior Member
    In my personal experience, I do believe passion counts for a lot. If you want to convey it, just talk about it in your essay (but make sure you're actually passionate enough about it to merit spending your essay on it).
  • xrCalico23xrCalico23 Posts: 4,673Registered User Senior Member
    what I wrote on the second page of this other thread:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/918451-chance-harvard.html

I want to tell you something along the lines of "just do what you love to do outside of the classroom, and devote your energy to this actitivity so that you can pursue it to some depth", but I've found after a few tries that people generally do not like to hear this kind of advice, so I've stopped posting it.
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Posts: 4,622Registered User Senior Member
    Use your DNA to prove that you are a direct descendant of John Harvard.
    Good idea. That way you'll be the ultimate legacy applicant.
  • gadadgadad Posts: 7,747Super Moderator Senior Member
    Use your DNA to prove that you are a direct descendant of John Harvard.

But don't try to get John's sample from the statue. That's got traces of thousands of different DNA sources, none of them John's.
  • Ancalagon4554Ancalagon4554 Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    More important than being yourself: being able to show that in your application.
  • varskavarska Posts: 1,082Registered User Senior Member
    Nice one, gadad
    The statue isn't even actually of John Harvard.
    ^lol, I actually read about that in the admitted students packet.
  • briefingsworthbriefingsworth Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    except john harvard never actually went to harvard.
    so you'd get nothing.
  • Jersey13Jersey13 Posts: 4,622Registered User Senior Member
    except john harvard never actually went to harvard.
    so you'd get nothing.
    He contributed significantly to the initial investment towards the foundation of Harvard and the University is named after him. I think that elicits some consideration :)
    But don't try to get John's sample from the statue. That's got traces of thousands of different DNA sources, none of them John's.
    An excellent tip for any student attempting my suggested method.
  • renicdemerorenicdemero Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    When I go visit Harvard , I will pray to the statue , maybe it will help me get admitted ....
    Just don't touch it. It's a long-standing tradition to preserve the foot through urination, and I've even heard of defecation.