Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

do I stand a chance?

pedrossipedrossi - Posts: 230 Junior Member
edited December 2007 in Harvey Mudd College
-ethnic background: Brazilian (moved to TX in late 2001)
-SAT I: 2050/2400 (CR 650, W 710, M 690)
-SAT II: Math II 740, Physics 800, U.S. History 650
-ACT: 31 (34 math, 31 science, 29 writing, 28 reading, 10 essay)
-GPA: 3.74 UW, ~3.9 weighted

9th GPA: 92.94
10th GPA: 94.55
11th GPA: 99.16
12th GPA: So far, over 100

I'm taking the most rigorous classes available, and I go to a highly competitive magnet school in South Texas. It's been a top 10 high school on Newsweek a few times in the past few years, as highly ranked as 4.

ECs/Activities/Etc:
Taught myself HTML, PHP, SQL, ActionScript, couple other languages
Worked as freelance programmer/web designer since 9th grade, received excellent reviews and ratings
Did a lot of summer research at a local Texas A&M research lab
Co-authored a scientific paper
Worked as a lab technician last summer, excellent letter of rec from a leading scientist
Designed webpage for a local ophthalmologist, excellent letter of rec from him
A lot of community service
Worked as a volunteer programmer for LifeNets (non-profit working to end genocide in Africa)
Ran a very successful campaign for LifeNets, collected over 300 letters from concerned citizens to Senators, invited to attend meeting with Senators (unfortunately I could not afford the plane ticket)
Post edited by pedrossi on

Replies to: do I stand a chance?

• LabRatIncLabRatInc Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Hi Pedrossi,
    Yes, I would think you stand a good chance of being admitted.
    You have a lot going for you: rigorous course schedule, good class rank/GPA, some good experience in a university lab, have a demonstrated passion for science/technology. The community service sounds excellent and is definitely a plus.
    The one potential weakness I see are the test scores on SAT math and SATII math. They are a little on the low side, but are still in the ballpark, and are probably good enough to keep you competitive.

That's my two cents...and remember, there is NO sure thing in college admissions these days--which can work for or against anyone depending on the phase of the moon.

Good luck with your applications!
This discussion has been closed.