Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Tips for "why HMC" essay

warrioreunbinwarrioreunbin Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2010 in Harvey Mudd College
What can I do to make my "why HMC" essay personal? There are so many things I like about it, and I want to write an essay with reasons that pertain only to me, but I'm finding this really hard to achieve. What are some helpful tips for approaching this kind of essay (do's & don't-do's)?
Post edited by warrioreunbin on

Replies to: Tips for "why HMC" essay

• nemomnemom Posts: 1,607Registered User Senior Member
    Any advice you get here is likely to make your essay less personal. We don't really know you , after all. That having been said...
    Just be yourself.
    Don't expect this essay to be easy.
    Write, write, write. It's okay to throw out a ton of stuff.
    Show , don't tell. Don't say "I love math." Show how you love it. "I did x. I did y. My friends said z."
  • warrioreunbinwarrioreunbin Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    "Any advice you get here is likely to make your essay less personal. We don't really know you, after all."

Not necessarily. I wasn't asking for "what I should write" in it--if I didn't know that myself, then I wouldn't be applying in the first place. I was wondering "how," things like:

1. Elaborate on one aspect vs talk about a lot of things
    2. Fill up as much as I can of that 500 word limit vs keep the word count at its very minimum, even if it's about 250?
    3. Include an intro vs get straight to the point?

Hearing about some successful stories can't hurt.
  • HammerZZHammerZZ Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    Answers to generic questions:

1. When I wrote mine, I focused on one/two topics. Trying to write about too many things just dilutes your point and makes for a less convincing argument.

2. Depends. Usually more is better, since you can elaborate on things, but this is not always the case. Just write as much as you need to get your point across.

3. You can do both - you don't need a full-blown introduction to get you rolling, especially in a short-essay format.

My essay was essentially a (purposefully) overblown version of why I should go to Mudd, emphasizing why I would fit in. It turned out to be quite funny to read, actually, but it helped get the personality through.