College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
I have switched schools from a rigorous top charter school to my local public school. My former school did not offer a bussing system and my parents are out of town twice a week for work. I had no way to get to school and therefore I switched. The former school was ridiculously rigorous and practiced grade deflation.
My sophomore year is what brought my GPA down. I had two teachers arrested for pedophilia, one teacher die in front of me and then two of my friends committed suicide. Most of my grades are A's and B's but that one year I received 5 C's. It had a massive impact on my GPA, as you can see. My GPA without that year is a 3.49.
I have taken an extremely rigorous schedule and will be graduating with 14 college level classes (dual enrollment with local universities including Penn State and AP classes). I have doubled, tripled and quadrupled on various subjects at a college level. I have never taken a course below Honors in high school. Even my gym classes were at an "honors" level.
AP's (Score in Parentheses):
World History (4)
U.S. History (5)
English Language and Composition (5)
U.S. Government and Politics
Intro. to Fiction Literature
Critical Analysis and Composition
Intro. to Philosophy
My recommendations are excellent and are coming from a college professor and one of my AP teachers. They are both wonderful and very personal. My counselor recommendation will be average to above average.
Extra Curricular Activities:
1. Model UN (9-12)
- Assisted in organizing a Model UN competition for Middle Schoolers
- Represented the delegations of Somalia, Japan, Ecuador and Iran
- Chosen to address the General Assembly in local University
- Mentored 5 members of the team
2. Speech and Debate Team (9-12)
- District Champion in Extemporaneous Speaking (11th Grade) in the State League
- Qualified and Semi-Finaled in States (8th in the State) in Extemporaneous Speaking
- Competed at Wake Forest University Early Bird competition and semi-finalled
- District Champion in Congress Debate in the N.C.F.L.
- Competed at Harvard College in Extemporaneous Speaking (10-12) and Yale (12)
- Experience in multiple fields such as Public Forum Debate, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Extemporaneous Speaking and Congress Debate
3. Biology Club (9-12)
- President 9-10
- Participated in Marine Biology Compatition
- Founded a branch in New School
4. Green Team (10-12)
- Volunteered in an after school program for inner city children to teach them about how to make their school more green.
- District-Wide Energy Audit Project/Eco-Lexus Competition
5. School Newspaper
- Managing/News Editor
- Heads political/healthcare news column
6. Tutored kids (9-12)
- Peer tutoring in school
- Tutored middle school kids
7. Taught at a School for Disabled Children in India for a few summers
- Also assisted in raising money for its creation ($2000)
- Taught physically disabled children (3 Summers)
8. Assisted in Medical Research at local Osteopathic Medical School
9. Shadowed 2 Doctors
- Neurosurgeon and Dermatologist
- Played for 10 years
With everything I have done, where would you put me? I'm not sending any essays unless I am absolutely in love with them. My common app essay extensively discusses my experience with bullying.