Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do girls really have it tougher than guys?

FiggyNewtonFiggyNewton Posts: 270Registered User New Member
edited February 2011 in High School Life
Women have the most difficult lives; We have to:
Shave our underarms.
Shave our legs.
Wax our privates.
worry about facial hair.
Shape our eyebrows.
Stress over our hair length.
Spend hours straightening or curling our hair.
Have to take time to put on make-up.
Constantly worry about our figure.
Suffer the first time we make love.
Bleed once a month for a week.
Give our all to prove we're just as capable as men.
Carry a baby in us for 9 months.
Give birth.
Spend outrageous amounts of money on 'fashionable' clothes.
Freak out over how attractive we are.
Deal with sexist comments.

Sorry boys, but don't say ***** about how being a male is so hard, you don't have to deal with half of those things.
And girls don't really need to do half those things either. Guys have an advantage biologically considering they don't have periods and stuff, but they're also the weaker gender (male deaths occur sooner than female).
Most annoying facebook like thing ever.
Post edited by FiggyNewton on

Replies to: Do girls really have it tougher than guys?

• neltharionneltharion Posts: 787Registered User Member
    Well, this thread might turn into a cluster****.

In short: Yes, women have it worse than men. It's called male privilege. (Do a Google search if you don't know what I'm talking about.) Simply put, in most societies, it's more advantageous to be born male than to be born female.

Most of the list above focuses on appearance. Sure, we don't "need" to do anything on that list; I don't, for instance. However, most people out there will judge a woman if she decides not to shave her legs or if she doesn't put much stock into her personal appearance. Conversely, if a man doesn't shave his legs, nobody will judge him for it, and if he looks sloppy, so what? A man sleeps with a lot of girls? He's called a stud. A girl sleeps with a lot of guys? Oh, she must be a slut. A woman is loud and assertive? She's a *****. A man is loud and assertive? He's the Boss, the Big Man. A woman doesn't want to have children? Her femininity is called into question. A man doesn't want to have children? Oh, no big deal, he must have other reasons. You see what I'm getting at here.

I'm not saying, by the way, that privilege is altogether a negative thing. I do think it's important to recognize it when you see it, though.
  • jgraiderjgraider Posts: 2,845Registered User Senior Member
    I think they do
  • shushugahshushugah Posts: 764- Member
    Hmmmmm, women do have it much tougher and put up with a lot of crap, again it depends on what kind, because some may not work and instead are glorified sex objects, while other's are working mothers alone with discriminatory treatment and lower salaries, it really goes both ways.

For school, girls have it much easier, in terms of academics and affirmative action too.
  • MinnesotaguyMinnesotaguy Posts: 237- New Member
    ^^^ If a key opens a ton of locks, it's a master key.
    If a lock is opened by a ton of keys, it's a crappy lock.
  • FiggyNewtonFiggyNewton Posts: 270Registered User New Member
    Guys have double-standards that aren't in their favor as well.

Here's one example: Women who are convicted for molestation or something probably get less slack then guys who are. I remember a few female teachers who were charged for doing the deed with students--I saw a lot of responses like "dang i wish she was my teacher!!! ;)". If the teacher was male, he'd be honed down for being a "creep" etc. Even if he was young and attractive.

Another: It's okay for a girl to not enjoy doing it, but if a guy doesn't, he automatically gets a negative label.
  • shaedowshaedow Posts: 125Registered User Junior Member
    This whole stereotype thing does work both ways - A guy gets married and doesn't have a job, he's a no good dead beat, woman does the same, she's a normal housewife. Its almost too easy for a girl to accuse a guy of rape and ruin his reputation, if not actually getting him convicted, because you know, obviously every guy wants sex so much, and is just a rapist in waiting.

I'm not saying girls who are actually raped shouldn't be able to report it and get justice, or anything like that. Just that there are just as many preconceived notions against men's favor.
  • neltharionneltharion Posts: 787Registered User Member
    Here's one example: Women who are convicted for molestation or something probably get less slack then guys who are. I remember a few female teachers who were charged for doing the deed with students--I saw a lot of responses like "dang i wish she was my teacher!!! ". If the teacher was male, he'd be honed down for being a "creep" etc. Even if he was young and attractive.

That's unfortunate. It's because people assume that men are more able to extract themselves from uncomfortable sexual situations if they really wanted to. (For instance, when people think "rape", they immediately think that it must be a man who rapes a woman, whereas the other can happen just as easily.)
    Another: It's okay for a girl to not enjoy doing it, but if a guy doesn't, he automatically gets a negative label.

Well, if a girl refuses to have sex or doesn't enjoy it, she's often accused of being frigid. I'm not sure if there's a negative connotation attached to guys who don't like sex, so I wouldn't be able to speak on that.

To clarify, since I think we might be speaking on somewhat different topics: stereotypes != privilege. Here's a good list of what counts as privileges: http://www.cpt.org/files/US%20-%20Male%20Privilege%20Checklist.pdf

Overall, I think it's safe to say that it's better to be male. Just like it's better to be monoracial, college-educated, white, heterosexual, cisgender, English-speaking, and able-bodied, amongst other things. I don't think anyone should be "guilty" of being privileged - I myself fit into half of the categories I've mentioned above - but being aware that you are privileged is, I believe, important.
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn Posts: 16,060- Senior Member
    Women ... Bleed once a month for a week.

You should see a doctor about that.
    ~Y!A
  • ThisCouldBeHeavnThisCouldBeHeavn Posts: 16,060- Senior Member
    Here's why it's tough to be a man:

Can't Shave our underarms.
    Can't Shave our legs.
    Can't Wax our privates.
    Worry about facial hair.
    Can't Shape our eyebrows.
    Stress over our hair length.
    Can't Spend hours straightening or curling our hair.
    Can't put on make-up.
    Constantly worry about our figure.
    Suffer the first time we try to get a woman to make love.
    Bleed once a month for a week due to shaving mishaps.
    Give our all to prove we're just as capable as men.
    Carry a woman with a baby in her for 9 months.
    Can't Give birth.
    Can't Spend outrageous amounts of money on 'fashionable' clothes.
    Freak out over how attractive we are.
    Deal with sexist comments from jealous *****es.

discuss
  • toxic93toxic93 Posts: 2,684Registered User Senior Member
    ^Lmao!!

• CloudyCloudCloudyCloud Posts: 355Registered User Member
    ^^ I laughed real hard.

I think "easy" is relative. Half those things you mentioned are things a girl would do in order to be attractive to men. Women, I got news for you. Women will ALWAYS have it easier than men when it comes to the dating arena.

Most women just need to be decent looking and have a good personality, and then some man will certainly come for you. You might not get all the men, but you will certainly find one.

Men are the ones who have to learn to accept rejection and learn women's mind games.

On the topic of periods and pregnancy..... well... that does suck for you.
  • rrcjmcandlessrrcjmcandless Posts: 490Registered User Junior Member
    ^Hahhaha I agree with the fact that women have it easier in the dating area.

If a woman wants to have sex all she has to do is walk up to a guy and ask for it.

But on the other hand, if a guy wants to have sex, he most likely has to buy a girl flowers, take her out, treat her well, wait a couple weeks and then go for it.
  • toxic93toxic93 Posts: 2,684Registered User Senior Member
    Not all the time, you know how many easy girls out there? Plenty.
  • manariusmanarius Posts: 833Registered User Member
    I think we're all looking at this the wrong way.

In the past, the men were the hunters and the protectors. Sure, the women have childbirth, which I'm sure really sucks, but they also didn't have to go out and risk their lives to put food on the table. All they had to do was bag a man and wait for him to bring home dinner. If there was any danger, the man was expected to protect the woman.

In today's society, this is no longer the case. Now women are viewed (mostly) as equals to men. They can (and do) get the same jobs and do the same work. On top of that, they have the other things listed already in this thread.

Now who is it that's placing this extra burden on the women? Are men pushing for women to be "equals"? No. It's the women. They want to be equal, then they complain about it. Now sure, the women being born today aren't directly responsible for the equality movement, but they don't have to go along with it if they don't want to. It's still not difficult to find an old fashioned husband and be a stay at home mom.

I have no problem with women wanting to be equals, but don't whine about it. It's kind of like the insanely flamboyant gays. They're obnoxiously in your face about their sexuality, then moan about how no one likes them because they're gay. Uh, no, it's because you're unbearably irritating.
  • HarryJonesHarryJones Posts: 2,580Registered User Junior Member
    ^???
    Most women just need to be decent looking and have a good personality, and then some man will certainly come for you. You might not get all the men, but you will certainly find one.
    TBH, I'd hate waiting my whole life for someone to ask me out.
    If a woman wants to have sex all she has to do is walk up to a guy and ask for it.

But on the other hand, if a guy wants to have sex, he most likely has to buy a girl flowers, take her out, treat her well, wait a couple weeks and then go for it.
    But this one works both ways. As neltharion said, "A man sleeps with a lot of girls? He's called a stud. A girl sleeps with a lot of guys? Oh, she must be a slut."