Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is my GPA good?

Steven197981Steven197981 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
edited March 2011 in High School Life
Hello. My name is Steven, and I am currently a senior at my high school. Since January of this year, I have been applying to some colleges that are located in the state that I reside in. After I graduate from my high school, I intend to go to a four-year, public college. At the moment, my GPA is currently a 3.1, which, if I remember correctly, is equivalant to an 87. Do I have an adequate GPA for four-year, public colleges? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by Steven197981 on

Replies to: Is my GPA good?

• sMITtensMITten Posts: 609Registered User Member
    Not much you can do about it at this point :-). How are your ACT/SAT scores? I would think you would have some decisions by now, but if not... still nothing you can do to change your gpa. Your gpa is "ok".. although I would die if that's what I had.

Good luck.
  • Steven197981Steven197981 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Hello, sMITten. I am aware of the fact that I cannot significantly increase my GPA at this time. When I was a junior, I took the ACT, and I received a composite score of 18. In January of this year, I took the SAT for the first time, and I received a score of 1250. I would assume that both are average scores. Also, you really didn't answer my question, and that last comment was not necessary. Keep your thoughts to yourself, please. Thank you.
  • FrancaisalamattFrancaisalamatt Posts: 1,837Registered User Senior Member
    ^No, a 1250 isn't average. An average SAT score is around 1500. However, your GPA isn't terrible for four year, public universities. Still, your SAT score is gonna bring you down a lot..
  • IvygolferIvygolfer Posts: 528Registered User Member
    Dont want to be a ****** but 1250 is really really low you get 600 just for trying, the National avg is something like 1600.
    steven, sorry.. i wasn't trying to be rude... i'm just saying that your gpa is "ok".

state schools are pretty accepting, so you should be ok. question really is.. are you prepared for the workload of college?
  • AUGirlAUGirl Posts: 2,813Registered User Senior Member
    Take the 1250 and leave that disaster of an ACT score behind.

I got into my state college with a 3.43 weighted (so about a 2.9 unweighted) and a 1230 SAT.

What schools are you looking at? If you want to go to a state school, just check and see if your SAT/GPA are within the mid 50%. If they are, then you should get in, because state schools only really look at SAT/GPA for the most part. They simply just don't have the time to sift through thousands upon thousands of applications.

EDIT: Wait... Is your 1250 M/CR or M/CR/W? If it's M/CR/W, you may want to consider going to your community college for a year or two and transferring. It's a perfectly acceptable way to get into a good college and once you have your degree two things will happen: A) Your future employers will see your degree from the university NOT the community college and B) You'll have saved a TON of money.
    you get 600 just for trying

Uhhh, no.

10char
    uhhh yeah, i think so. the base score is 200 per section. if you turned in a blank score sheet.. you'd get a 600 and i'm not sure if you got every question wrong what score you would get.. i still think a 600.
  • ghuskiesghuskies Posts: 604Registered User Member
    Uhhh you can try a 4 year university but you won't get into a competitive one. Maybe community college for 2 years than transferring if you get your grades up. Those test scores aren't going to get you very far either. Sorry, but that's the truth.
  • komaromy31komaromy31 Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    I thought it was 200 per section if you got everything wrong (or were curved to it)
  • NewAccountNewAccount Posts: 1,882Registered User Senior Member
    ^ That is correct.
  • 2CHiLLaXiN2CHiLLaXiN Posts: 485Registered User Junior Member
    ^Yes, 200 is the minimum score. So you would get a 600 composite if you came in and didn't answer a single question/got them all wrong/got so many wrong that you had a raw score of 0 or below.

A 3.1 isn't bad, but I don't think it would get you into any of the big-name state flagship schools. You could probably get into some of the smaller state schools. If you have great ECs (recruited athlete, etc), you could possibly get into some bigger-name schools. However, your SAT and ACT could seriously hurt your application. The average SAT scores is somewhere between 1500 and 1600 (not sure exactly what the number is), and the average ACT is a 22 (actually a 21.6, I think). You seriously need to bring up your SAT scores or only apply to schools where standardized tests aren't required.
  • Steven197981Steven197981 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    I see. I will have to think this over carefully.
    If you want to go to a flagship state school, maybe you could try community college to get your grades up, and retake the SAT?