Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How Many Safety Schools Should I Have?

davidthefatdavidthefat Posts: 1,521Registered User Senior Member
edited March 2011 in High School Life
Title says it. A guy recommended around 4, but I do not want to end up applying to 15 colleges...
Post edited by davidthefat on

Replies to: How Many Safety Schools Should I Have?

• Brave UlyssesBrave Ulysses Posts: 671Registered User Member
    2 , an academic safety and a financial safety.
    They have to be schools that you will feel comfortable enrolling at in a worst case scenario.
  • yankee814yankee814 Posts: 187Registered User Junior Member
    Depends on the amount of school's you plan on applying to.

If its 6 then 2 safety, 2 match, 2 reach.
    I don't know your situation but im planning on doing something like this:
    1. High Reach, 2. Reach, 3. Hard Match, 4. Hard Match, 5. Match, 6. Safety, 7. Safety, 8. Financial Safety
  • rebeccarrebeccar Posts: 1,234Registered User Senior Member
    I only had one. It was a financial and academic safety and I would have been perfectly happy going there. As long as you love it in its own way, one is enough. Two if you want peace of mind.

And obviously, when I say you only need one, I'm talking about a SUPER safety. Not just like, you're in the 75th %ile. You need to be beyond positive.
  • quomodoquomodo Posts: 2,467Registered User Senior Member
    Depends on how "safe" it is. I had automatic admit to UC Davis through ELC so that was my safety, and I only needed one--then again, I was 100% gonna be admitted. I don't really think you need more than two, as long as they're truly safe. Basically, do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

It might also be a good idea to apply to a school that has rolling admissions, so you can know early on in the process that at least you're going somewhere.
  • davidthefatdavidthefat Posts: 1,521Registered User Senior Member
    The thing is the Cal Poly Pomona is the only "safety" I can think of that I would have the dignity of going to. I would not even consider any other Cal States other than SLO, but that is one of my "target" schools.

Double Major in Comp Sci and Elect Engineering and will take several theoretical physics classes (not necessarily minor in it)
    I don't want to apply to UCs, unless some one can convince me with hard evidence that I would like it there, then I am not even bothering.

So My List:
    Caltech
    MIT
    Harvey Mudd
    Stanford
    Carnegie Mellon
    Worcester Polytechnic
    Stevens Institute of Tech
    Illinois Institute of Tech
    Georgia Tech
    Cal Poly SLO
    Cal Poly Pomona