Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Nasty Divorce: Should both my Parents attend my Sports Banquet?

AppleBeamAppleBeam Posts: 646Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2011 in High School Life
My parents have been divorced for about 7 years, but there still are tensions between the two. Not exactly with my mother and father, but my stepmother and mother. My Crew Banquet is tomorrow evening and I'm trying to decide if I should invite just my Father, my Stepmother and Father, my Mother and Father, or everyone. I feel like my mother would not be happy if I invited my stepmother but she'd be even angrier if I didn't invite her and instead invited my stepmother. I just don't want to deal with any stress right now. It would be easier to just invite just my Father or just my Father and Stepmother, but the Banquet is also a "Public Occasion" and people would identify my father and stepmother as my real father and mother. I'm not sure if that would be fair to my mother. What should I do?

Thanks in Advance
Post edited by AppleBeam on

Replies to: Nasty Divorce: Should both my Parents attend my Sports Banquet?

• komaromy31komaromy31 Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    Invite all three under the condition that you'll be viewing this as a tryout for things like graduation dinners
  • fishymomfishymom Posts: 1,849Registered User Senior Member
    Invite your mother and your father and his wife. If you truly expect there to be issues, I would speak to both your parents and explain that this is a special day for you and you want to include everybody, but you do not want their issues to marr the event for you. I think after 7 years, adults should have figured out a way to work this stuff out.
  • bobtheboybobtheboy Posts: 2,216Registered User Senior Member
    What is a sports banquet?
  • Daxlo5Daxlo5 Posts: 1,357- Junior Member
    ^ Usually an end of the year dinner for your team. They usually hand out awards, such as "MVP", or "Most improved player".
  • intparentintparent Posts: 13,236Registered User Senior Member
    I can see your dilemma. My ex-husband recently married the woman he had been fooling around with while we were still married, which broke up our marriage. He, fortunately, has had the good sense to not bring her to any kids functions (sports banquets, concerts, etc.). If that is your situation, too bad your dad does not have this much sense. You do not mention the scenario of inviting mom & dad, and asking dad to leave stepmom at home. If she was the cause of the divorce, I think this scenario has some merit. Just because he married her does not make it okay for him to trot her out at all occasions with his previous family, and make your mom feel bad.

If your stepmom is someone that came on the scene after the divorce, then it sounds like maybe your mom is being unreasonable. In that case, I would invite all three; your mom can choose between her general dislike of your stepmom and attending your functions.