Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Skipping Level of Foreign Language

UniquelyMe30UniquelyMe30 Posts: 205Registered User New Member
edited July 2011 in High School Life
Has anyone here ever skipped a level of a foreign language? I was given the option to do that and I decided not to. Now I'm wondering if I should have done it.

This is kind of a long story. In 7th and 8th grade, all students take level 1 of a foreign language, and most students do level 2 in 9th grade (some students repeat level 1 if they struggled in 7th and 8th grade). I didn't realize it was even an option to skip level 2 and do level 3 in 9th grade until I found out that my teacher gave this one student the option to do that. I knew that I was capable of doing that, too (I had straight-A's in the class), and I really wanted to do it, so I asked my teacher if I could, and she didnt really give me a definite answer. When it was time to pick classes for 9th grade, my teacher basically made me take level 2 without giving me a reason why I couldn't do level 3 (which made me really upset).
So in 9th grade, I took level 2, which was too easy, and got straight-A's in that class. My teacher told me that I could skip level 3 and do level 4 in 10th grade. I decided not to do that, though, and now I don't know if I made the right choice (I'll be starting 10th grade in the fall). I think that level 3 will be really easy, level 4 is an Honors class (worth more for weighted GPA), and taking level 4 in 10th grade would allow me to do AP in 11th grade. Would it have been a good idea to skip level 3? I was afraid that it would be really difficult...
Thanks for reading all of this- I didn't mean for it to get so long :D
Post edited by UniquelyMe30 on

Replies to: Skipping Level of Foreign Language