Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is it too late to do community service hours in senior year of high school?

Chocolate20Chocolate20 Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2011 in High School Life
I am on summer break now and about to be a senior. I currently only have 12 hours, and I haven't submitted them in yet to my social science teacher. I need 30 hours to graduate, however I read on my teacher's site that you should turn in your hours before senior year starts so it shows up on the college transcript. If I do the remaining hours in senior year, will it show up in time for college apps?
Post edited by Chocolate20 on

Replies to: Is it too late to do community service hours in senior year of high school?

• madogmgdmadogmgd Posts: 1,068- Senior Member
    Ask your school counselor about this.

All schools are run differently and some let mistakes slip by.
  • Chocolate20Chocolate20 Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
    Ok, but before I submit college applications in November this year to UC schools, can I do hours and then have it on the application?

Edit: Don't misunderstand my intentions, I'm just confused. I'm scared I don't have enough hours to apply and I thought it might be too late. I'm not trying to look better, I just want to be able to apply. So you are saying that It's not too late to do hours and apply right?
    So in other words, I might be screwed :O Thanks for your answer, I'll try contacting my counselor about it. *Hoping for the best*
    I'm back.

I' apologize, I just jump the gun whenever somebody mentions COMMUNITY SERVICE and TRANSCRIPT in the same sentence.

You should be ok right? I mean hell, they gonna keep you from graduating because you didn't pass around enough meals to the homeless?

This is why schools shouldn't have service hour requirements.
    Volunteerism shouldn't be forced, it should be wanted
  • tofugirl101tofugirl101 Posts: 624Registered User Member
    ^ Amen. 10char
  • jogo84jogo84 Posts: 245Registered User Junior Member
    That indeed sounds incredibly wrong. I don't have a problem with requiring community service for graduation, but reporting it on the transcript is just plain wrong. It is sad that your school is too inept to realize that listing community service hours does not help one get into colleges (and when the number is something low like 20 or 30 especially...)

Students on CC have had success doing things like removing test scores from transcripts. I wonder if anyone has any specific advice about how the OP can go about having the same thing done here.
    I myself only have around 60 hours, But those hours meant a lot to me and really changed me as a person.
  • fauxmavenfauxmaven Posts: 1,569Registered User Member
    The people you help doing community service will glad you did ,regardless of transcript issues !
    Haha, I guess, if they remember me :p

Well, as long as I can still send college applications to UC schools then I don't really mind if It's not on my transcript..