Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Taking 5 AP classes Junior year?

CollegeBound98CollegeBound98 Posts: 51Registered User New Member
edited August 2012 in High School Life
Is 5 AP classes too many for one year? I have seen people do a lot more than 5, but I have only been in one AP class, so far.
My schedule for Junior year is:
AP Physics
AP Biology
AP English Language and Comp.
AP Calculus AB
AP Macro/Microeconomics
Spanish III
I don't know if this is too much, considering I have only been in one AP class. I think I am perfectly capable of doing it, except I don't know about the homework. My high school has this program called dual enrollment, where kids take all of their classes at a local college. So, I think that if kids can take all of their classes at a college, with all of their classes being harder than AP classes, I can handle 5 AP classes. But, I still really don't know. Is this too many? I know people are going to say, "Take what you can handle." But, I don't know what I can handle. Please help!!
Post edited by CollegeBound98 on

Replies to: Taking 5 AP classes Junior year?

• hobbithillhobbithill Posts: 984Registered User Member
    Yeah, it is too much, especially having been in only one AP class beforehand. You don't need to do this to be competitive at top schools. There is NO point in doubling up in sciences, ESPECIALLY those two. AP Bio= 2.5-3 hours of note taking each night guaranteed. AP Physics I imagine would be similar to the workload of AP Chemistry only a bit more. AP Lang ad Comp is often called soft but woe betide those who get the difficult teacher! That was another hour and half of work to do during the tired night. Then math?

If you ever ended up having a project or a little bit extra homework in econ or spanish, you'd be doing way too much homework. Please take my advice from someone who has done this and now regrets it. Cut a science (if you can take physics senior year, save it for then). Then your schedule gets much more handle-able.
  • light shininglight shining Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    You won't have a problem with five AP classes, especially with the classes you are taking. The only class you may potentially find time consuming is AP Bio but all other classes are not very hard. I had the same question from my freshman to sophomore year (from two weighted classes to five) but it worked out fine for me. Good luck.
  • CollegeBound98CollegeBound98 Posts: 51Registered User New Member
    hobbithill you said, "AP Bio= 2.5-3 hours of note taking each night guaranteed."

At my high school before you sign up for an AP class, they gove you an information packet containing all of the information about that course. It is available online, and I have read them. The weekly workload for AP Bio is 8 hours, which is just over an hour each night. AP Physics is even less. The AP Econs are 2 hours per week, which isn't a lot, at all. AP Calc is 4 hrs per week and AP English Lang is 3 hrs per week. My school does not give a lot of homework, lol.
  • 109111109111 Posts: 361Registered User Junior Member
    Not a big deal. I'm doing 6 my junior year and still work out every day after school.
  • hobbithillhobbithill Posts: 984Registered User Member
    ^^ Can you confirm that with other students? Our teacher for Bio thought we spent no more than an hour or an hour and a half on reading, but everyone in the class always agonized for much longer. If it's true for your school I think I might cry at the sheer injustice.

p.s. If you have a nice counselor and you show her how much you're struggling, she'll probably let you drop a few classes when the year is actually in session.
  • emprenempren Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I think you really need to consider what AP classes are like at your school. I know at mine, the maximum people even consider taking is 3. Also consider what your schedule will be like for the two weeks of AP testing and the weeks leading up to it. Often times if you don't finish the curriculum by test day, you will be responsible for teaching yourself the missing info. April and May will be HELL especially if you take SATs and/or ACTs then. Honestly, talk to upperclassman who had a similar schedule. They're the only people who will actually be able to tell you what it's really like. Personally, I would take the AP classes that you know you will enjoy and do well in.
  • MalapropismMalapropism Posts: 196Registered User Junior Member
    It depends on what you can handle and how intense you think the work load is going to be. Personally, I took three APs my junior year, figured out that I could handle them pretty well, and took eight APs my senior year (though one constituted two APs, AKA micro/macro; I also took a research class) and had no problem at all. Take what you're comfortable with and what you'll enjoy.
  • EsotericalAppEsotericalApp Posts: 301Registered User Junior Member
    Just for reference, I took 6 aps my junior year, while only having one before that year, and had maybe 1-2 hrs of hw a night. Got 5 5s and 1 4
  • ConstanceBConstanceB Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    Since you know yourself the best, of course the final decision is yours. Personally, I took 5 APs junior year (Calc AB, Chemistry, Physics Mechanics, English Lang, World History). The workload was bearable, but hectic at times, especially during sports seasons. If you know your teachers, you can get an idea of how much work you will have. I honestly didn't have that much homework, except for chemistry and occasionally english. Studying for all of them was a pain in the butt, but somehow I managed to pull off all 5s with a 4 in Mechanics. Anyway, good luck :)
  • nicetomeetyounicetomeetyou Posts: 653Registered User New Member
    Oh wow, I just wrote a comment on your other post about junior and senior schedules. In that case, why not switch regular anatomy and AP bio around. It will be much better to spend the last 10 weeks in AP bio doing a full review of your anatomy class than doing a whole year of anatomy after covering the full thing in 10 weeks.

So jumping from 1 AP to 4 AP's. Still a hell of a jump but not as bad right?
  • shoppingislifeshoppingislife Posts: 235Registered User Junior Member
    Sorry to get in the middle of this, but isn't AP Macro/Micro 2 separate APs?
  • ConstanceBConstanceB Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    ^ It's 2 separate AP exams, but it might be offered as 1 course? I think it's similar to Physics C because my school offers it as 2 different courses, but some other schools offer it as 1 course, even though it's technically 2 AP exams.
  • Dwang21Dwang21 Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    I would drop one of the 2 ap sciences u are taking
  • macman3894macman3894 Posts: 41Registered User New Member
    Last year (my junior year) I took AP Chem, AP AB Calc, AP Human Geo, and AP Lit and Comp and it was no big deal at all- you'll be fine
  • goldring2012goldring2012 Posts: 311Registered User Junior Member
    just letting you know...taking 2 sciences is hell. And one of them i took wasn't even AP!!!