Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I want to get into an accelerated pre-med program.

amandaapamandaap Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited August 2011 in High School Life
But everyone who says "chance me" looks 5,000 times better than me...I'm only a sophomore but honestly I'm so worried. This is what my life looks like for the fall:
5:30 - Wake up. Shower. Get ready.
6:30 - Bike to school
7:10 - 0 period: strings. I play the viola :)
8:00 - School starts. Honors biology, AP Euro, honors fundamental writing and literature, honors geometry/trig (we take Alg 2 first..), Spanish 3, gym, Hebrew scripture (Catholic school)
2:37 - School ends. Do homework until 3:30 when volleyball practice starts..
3:30 - Volleyball...
6:00 - Volleyball ends. Mom comes to drive me to the hospital where I'll volunteer for 3 hours...
9:30 - Get home. Shower. Eat dinner. Do the homework associated with college prep schools...

Where do kids find time for internships and for all this volunteer work!?!?
Post edited by amandaap on

Replies to: I want to get into an accelerated pre-med program.

• CantConcentrateCantConcentrate Posts: 2,547Registered User Senior Member
    Don't forget the weekends and holidays :)
  • dblazerdblazer Posts: 1,779Registered User Senior Member
    Summer my friend, summer. As long as you have your hospital volunteer hours, some shadowing (ask your hospital's volunteer department for opportunities) you would meet the pre-reqs. Go further with research (contact professors at a local university) or gain medical experience in other ways such as Emergency Medical training. But all of this is irrelevant unless you have excellent standardized test scores (2300+/34+) and good gpa/class rank (top 1-5%, though depends on the program). But your a soph... you're doing what you can and should relax. Just try to get the shadowing and keep up those grades!
  • LaPrincesaLaPrincesa Posts: 309Registered User Junior Member
    hmmm interesting i want to do bs/md too. i've been wondering about doing something with emergency medical services but i have no idea how. i thought you have to be like an adult to do this...anybody know?
  • bsmd11bsmd11 Posts: 879Registered User Member
    Clearly, you're unhappy, which is why you are posting here. Why do you care so much for bs/md programs? Don't get me wrong, I'm attending one this fall, but if you're so stressed out as a SOPHOMORE IN HIGH SCHOOL what do you think is going to happen later on?
  • moonman676moonman676 Posts: 938Registered User Member
    EMS as a HS student is difficult. What I did is get AHA certified for CPR and AED. You can take courses, and they're easy and fun. I think that in smaller towns/cities, getting EMS training is easier at a young age, but in big city centers it's almost impossible.
  • amandaapamandaap Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    bsmd11, I'm honestly not stressed, just busy. I don't know where else to put something.
  • theking101theking101 Posts: 238Registered User Junior Member
    Wait, what...? You're volunteering in the hospital every single day of the week? If you're looking for some time, I'd suggest reducing the hours that you spend in the hospital. I think 21 hours each week in the hospital is far too much...especially since you're only a sophomore. Most people who post their "stats" have around 200 to 300 hospital volunteer hours in their entire high school career. Just my opinion.