Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Geometry Sophomore Year?

leicamasterleicamaster Posts: 83Registered User New Member
edited November 2011 in High School Life
I am taking Geometry this year as a sophomore. I maintain an A-/A in the class, but I still consider myself a terrible math student. My concern is that this will just look terrible on an application, even though I am not planning on doing any career in science or math. My dream school is UChicago. Any opinions?
Post edited by leicamaster on

Replies to: Geometry Sophomore Year?

• semaphore12semaphore12 Posts: 513Registered User Member
    Independent study yourself up to a higher math class.
    Khan Academy has hours/days of video on things like Calculus AB/BC and Algebra II.
  • leicamasterleicamaster Posts: 83Registered User New Member
    Is it worth it? I am not planning a career in science or math, but rather one in Philosophy or English.
  • Dan2014Dan2014 Posts: 352Registered User Member
    Your average. Chill.
  • emeraldEviemeraldEvi Posts: 186Registered User Junior Member
    It would've been better to ask this before the school year started, but see if you can double up with Algebra II. That's what a lot of the sophomores at my school who (for whatever reason) ended up in Geometry this year are doing. If it's too late to change your schedule (which I bet it is) you could look into a summer Alg II course or an online one that your school gives credit for.

If none of these are feasible, it's not the end of the world. But even if you don't plan to go into a math career, having some upper-level math courses on your resume will certainly help, and you'll be applying against loads of students who took Geometry in 9th or even 8th grade, so be aware.
  • smwhtslghtlydzedsmwhtslghtlydzed Posts: 1,555Registered User Senior Member
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking Geo sophomore year- it's what the majority of sophomores in the country take. Doubling up is an option if you really want to get ahead, but since you don't seem to care about math I don't think that option's worth the time and effort involved. Focus on other areas that you are strong in- other applicants may be slightly ahead if they're in a higher math class, but that can easily be evened out if you're ahead in another area. Try to worry less about this and focus on what really matters to you and can set you apart :)
    Thanks for all the advice. I talked to my math teacher and she told me just not to worry about it. My English teacher went to UChicago and what he said is to focus on what you really love (English in my case). Plus he already told me that I am the top English student in the 10th grade.

EDIT: I forgot I have an advantage because I am a minority. Something other applicants do not have.
  • iwaitz4uiwaitz4u Posts: 289Registered User Junior Member
    That is average at my school. Don't worry about it.
    Oh and its not like all my classes are average. I am also taking AP World and Psych.
  • EDCornell2013EDCornell2013 Posts: 63- Junior Member
    That is one year behind at my school. Which course did you take freshman year? We go to Calculus.
    I took Alg. I freshman year.

Geo. is the lowest/average math level available sophomore year.
  • ReesesPieces891ReesesPieces891 Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
    I am planning on going into engineering. I took geometry my sophomore year and am in AP Calc BC as a senior this year. You are fine.
  • onamatapiaonamatapia Posts: 168Registered User Junior Member
    Is Geometry sophomore year really the norm in most places? At my school, the majority (probably 60%) of sophomores take Algebra II or higher (I'm in Pre-cal Honors).
  • CapricieuxCapricieux Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    Some places, kids didn't get the chance to take Algebra I in 8th grade. I would say that Geometry in 10th grade is pretty normal, but most sophomore in my school are usually up to Algebra II or are taking it along with Geometry.