Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Pre Calc VS Trig

Divad17Divad17 Posts: 79Registered User New Member
edited February 2012 in High School Life
So I recently posted a topic about my fear of taking Pre Calculus next year as I'm currently not doing so well in Algebra II, but I've just begun thinking of another option... Trigonometry?

I never really considered taking it before as most of the kids at my school (and on here) take Pre Calc over Trig, but a few of my friends are going into it next year and, from what I've heard, it's easier than Pre Calc.

If you're wondering whether I'm better at Algebra or Geometry... the answer is neither. I did poorly in both. However, I did so poorly in Geometry that I actually retook it, and I acquired a pretty good understanding of it. So maybe Trigonometry would be a better option for me?

Any advice? Is there some kind of reason hardly anyone takes Trig anymore? Would colleges frown upon it? And does Trig teach enough to go into Calculus (which I may or may not take senior year)?
Post edited by Divad17 on

Replies to: Pre Calc VS Trig

• FrancaisalamattFrancaisalamatt Posts: 1,837Registered User Senior Member
    I can't speak for others, but my pre-calc class devoted a portion of its time to learning trig (I think half a year). You need both for calculus though (although you can get through AB, probably, without knowing pre-calc).
  • SaugusSaugus Posts: 3,879Registered User Senior Member
    ^
    Not advisable. AB is hard if you're not a math person.
  • FrancaisalamattFrancaisalamatt Posts: 1,837Registered User Senior Member
    ^I said you could get through it without pre-calc, not that it would be easy. Obviously having as much preparation as possible is helps you succeed..
  • DorkyelmoDorkyelmo Posts: 1,770Registered User Senior Member
    PreCalc is trig and algebra.
  • Joynjoyness23Joynjoyness23 Posts: 189Registered User Junior Member
    Colleges probably won't look down on it since most of them look at precalc and alg3/trig as the same course.
  • aoederaoeder Posts: 113Registered User Junior Member
    Pre-Calculus is very similar to Algebra II... if you don't grasp the concepts in Algebra II, you will struggle immensely in Pre-Calc. I've seen it happen to people.