Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What's the difference between NSHSS and NHS?

Lydia15Lydia15 Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2012 in High School Life
I'm just curious because I got a letter from NHS and I am undecided on wether I should join or not.
Post edited by Lydia15 on

Replies to: What's the difference between NSHSS and NHS?

• kathryn6422kathryn6422 Posts: 472Registered User Junior Member
    NSHSS = waste of the 60 bucks and pretty much worthless on your college app.

NHS = good organization which can help you gain volunteer/community service hours and show leadership, initiative, and general academic excellence.
  • alwaysleahalwaysleah Posts: 2,737Registered User Senior Member
    ^I second that
  • AllyJayAllyJay Posts: 181Registered User Junior Member
    NHS is also earned by the grades you get in school. Everyone with enough merit is accepted. and it's real. Which helps a lot.

NSHSS: Randomly selects people. One of their goals is money and most smart guidance counselors/ college advisors will tell you to completely ignore them and throw the letter away. They also have an account on here that will try to convince you otherwise. Ignore it. T-shirts may be nice. Actual merit is nicer.
  • stressedoutttstressedouttt Posts: 3,992Registered User Senior Member
    Let me google that for you

now was that so hard?
  • SteelTrapMindsetSteelTrapMindset Posts: 564Registered User Member
    NSHSS is a sham, while NHS isn't.
  • Etuck24Etuck24 Posts: 1,281Registered User Senior Member
    No, don't.

TO ANYONE ELSE who might think about making a similar thread, please just search nshss on this site and you'll see the overwhelming consensus is to trash it.
  • Lydia15Lydia15 Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks, now I will definitely join NHS
  • unknowngeek777unknowngeek777 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    In laconic terms, NHS good. NSHSS bad.
  • NSHSS01NSHSS01 Posts: 15. New Member
    NSHSS is an honor society that recognizes top academic achievers from high schools around the world. Its mission is to recognize academic excellence among high school students and to encourage members to apply their unique talents, vision, and potential for the betterment of themselves and the world.
  • JHUorDUKEJHUorDUKE Posts: 183- New Member
    NSHSS= Scam
    NHS= club for tryhards all trying to get into Ivy league schools.

NSHSS + NHS = rejected by colleges