Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Class of 2014: Where have you visited/plan to apply?

TPJrNYTPJrNY Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2013 in High School Life
I'm sure many of us have started to visit schools. Which did you like? Which do you plan to apply to?

So far:
NYU - loved, plan to apply!
Vassar - meh... The campus and surrounding area is not so exciting.
Post edited by TPJrNY on

Replies to: Class of 2014: Where have you visited/plan to apply?

• ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,960Registered User Senior Member
    Already Visited:
    - University of Pennsylvania - Liked it but it was not for me (something did not click)
    - Swarthmore - Loved it, plan to apply ED
    - Haverford - Liked it, plan to apply RD (if rejected by Swarthmore)
    - Bryn Mawr - Really liked the school, though not sure if I am okay with it being all girls, yet to decide if I will apply
    - University of Pittsburgh - Too big, don't want to be in 200 people intro classes, also did not feel new/exciting (but that is partially because I live one neighborhood away from the campus)
    - Junita - Really liked it, plan to apply as a safety (again if I don't get into Swarthmore ED)
    - Penn State - Liked it more then I expected, but it was way too big

Visiting Later This Year
    - Duquesne
    - Muhlenberg
    - Georgetown
    - Dickinson
    - Probably some combination of Kenyon, Denison, Oberlin and/or Allegheny
  • quidditchcatquidditchcat Posts: 2,744Registered User Senior Member
    I've only visited UCSD and Stanford >.<

But I would like to visit Bowdoin, Colgate, Vanderbilt, Emory, JHU, Yale, Brown, and Wesleyan U sometime senior year.
  • biovballbiovball Posts: 779Registered User Member
    I've visited Stanford and UCLA. LOVED the atmosphere and campus of Stanford, but something didn't feel right about UCLA. This spring break I will be flying over to the east coast and visiting Duke, Yale, Columbia, Princeton, and Dartmouth.

I plan to apply to a lot of schools so I can increase my chances of at least getting into one top 20 school.
  • MutaRiSCMutaRiSC Posts: 1,242Registered User Senior Member
    Visited
    Stanford
    Berkeley

Planning on visiting
    Claremont McKenna/ Harvey Mudd
    Georgetown
    Penn
    HYP
    UCSD
    UCLA
    Vandy(Can visit my grandma!)
    Duke(Can also visit my grandma!)
    Some other places invariably

CA resident btw.
  • gomdorrigomdorri Posts: 713Registered User Member
    I won't be visiting any colleges, but I already have a fairly solid list of colleges that I plan to apply to.
  • Devonte32896Devonte32896 Posts: 311Registered User Member
    Visited Columbia University so far..Plan to apply to

NYU
    Fordham
    PennState
    Boston U
    Syracuse U
    SUNY Buffalo
    UMiami

All For Musical Theatre :)

Sent from my LS670 using CC
  • dzzalldaydzzallday Posts: 162Registered User Junior Member
    Visited Skidmore (went there for the summer) already. Planning on visiting ...

Ailey/Fordham
    SUNY Purchase
    Julliard
    Colgate
    Franklin & Marshall
    Boston Conservatory
    U Pitt (visiting Grandma also!)
    Dartmouth

I'll probably change/add colleges over the course of the year though.

I know that I'll be applying to Ailey/Fordham, SUNY Purchase, Julliard, and Colgate.
  • ATPmoleculeATPmolecule Posts: 401Registered User Member
    Visited MIT, Princeton, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon
    Will visit Stanford, Harvey Mudd, Caltech

I'm so ready to be accepted, somewhere, I just need like a checkpoint. Like in a videogame, right now I feel like if I mess up I have to start all over.
  • StudiousMaximusStudiousMaximus Posts: 3,042Registered User Senior Member
    I've visited HYPM + Brown + UVA; they were all great in different ways. I plan to apply to all of the aforementioned colleges plus Stanford, a few other Ivies, Duke, and maybe Chicago.
  • basicspacebasicspace Posts: 192Registered User Junior Member
    Visited:
    Caltech
    Stanford
    UCI (lol)
    USC
    Suffice to say, I wasn't particularly attracted to any of their campuses. Not even applying to the last two.

Visiting 100%:
    MIT
    Harvard
    Berkeley

Applying but idk if visiting:
    Princeton
    Cornell
    Columbia
    Harvey Mudd
    UCLA
    UCSD
    UC Reject (seriously, I want to get rejected so bad)
  • sz06103sz06103 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Visited Columbia, NYU, and Fordham. I am planning to visit Cornell sometime during winter break.
  • TeaspoonsTeaspoons Posts: 458Registered User Junior Member
    I'm only a sophomore but I might graduate next year... UNC is probably a safety/match of mine, it's the only one ill definitely be able to afford, it's instate, and it's a great college. Then the only other schools I'm interested in are high reaches : brown, Yale, Princeton, MIT... I haven't found any other matches or safeties that I'm really interested in..
  • FollowTheReaperFollowTheReaper Posts: 509Registered User Member
    I've been to San Jose State, San Francisco State, USF, and driven through Cal Poly SLO and UC Santa Cruz. The only one I plan on applying to is SLO, in addition to some UCs (probably Cal, UCLA, UC Davis, and UC Irvine) and maybe USC. I would like to go out of state, but it'll probably be too expensive, and the schools I could possibly get scholarships to aren't in the most attractive of areas.
  • pleiotropypleiotropy Posts: 107Registered User Junior Member
    I'm so jealous of you guys for having enough money to visit colleges :(
    I've only been to UMD and absolutely dislike the campus there.
  • ecouter11ecouter11 Posts: 1,395Registered User Senior Member
    American Schools:
    Visited- RIT, unofficially because I know people who work and study there. It's...all right, but I'd be disappointed if I attended. It has very little in the way of biological research and the location, within the city itself is pretty lame unless you have a car. I like the city and wouldn't mind moving back as an adult to work there but I'd rather not go to college there.
    U of R- does the medical school count? :) I know people in the 8 year med program and lots of kids from my old HS attend. The medical center is really nice and I'd love to be on faculty there, provided they're willing to take me!

1) I've visited 3 Canadian schools, but I mainly went there for business purposes, not to actually visit visit. One school was really small and cute but it really has nothing going on (state university of a tiny province) that interests me.
    2) The second school I went just to use the library but it's a) in the place that gets the most snow in NA a year! and b) not really enthralled with their facilities.
    3)The last school I know more intimately since I've done lots of things on campus and because my HS is extremely close to it. It's...okay, I guess. I know both faculty and students from there. The facilities for what I'm interested in are good but I strongly dislike the city I live in and would hate taking classes on campus. I generally don't like the Canadian system because it doesn't allow for much exploration of ideas. Also, I know a ton of kids who go there and while they're great, they're not exactly people I'm great friends with.

I actually don't know what I want. I just want to be happy and successful! I've never had much choice in things like schools and whatnot, so it's kind of new to me.