Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How can I do better in AP CALC BC????

SampimSampim Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in High School Life
Okay, I'm a junior in AP Calc BC.......
and I'm currently getting a C-...................... -_-
tests are 80% of my grade...........
i had a limits and a derivatives test, and got a 66 and 60....
my hw/participation is a 100% WHAT DO I DO.
I had my quarterly exam today too....ehh...that didn't go to well...

I try SO hard. i rewrote both of my tests and retook them at home
to prepare for the quarterly exam...but STILL....i don't think i did well...
and for hw, it takes me like......1.3 hours to do? about 15-20 problems a night?
and i don't know...whenever my teacher rewords a question, i get confused!

I still have the rest of the year to pull off AT LEAST an A-.
I am absolutely determined to do BETTTTERR...

***any tips/help i can to do better on my next tests coming up?
Post edited by Sampim on

Replies to: How can I do better in AP CALC BC????

• FutureDocSauveFutureDocSauve Posts: 347Registered User Member
    I am in calc BC too. We are hut starting integrating now... I have a 96.1 percent. It come super easy to me. Just make sure you know the rules of taking derivatives such as power rule, chain, product, quotient rules. And know he what the graphs of position, velocity, and acceleration. The position graph is increasing when the velocity graph is positive. Decreasing when negative. Critical numbers are when the velocity is equal to 0 or DNE. Those represent the extreme of the position graph aka minimums and maximums. You have to test those points to see if they are maxs or mins or none. Points I inflection is when the acceleration is equal to 0 and tells when the concavity of the position graph changes. U can plug in critical numbers in the acceleration equation to see if the point is a maximum if minimum. Also know how to find derivatives of log an Ln functions and trig functions and inverse trig functions. U will need I memorize the trig ones and inverse trigs. Idk how far you are far you are but u will end up learning to integrate and finding volumes of an equation rotated around an axis and such. Let me know if you need more help or specific help with anything. I'm happy to help bro.
  • SampimSampim Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    wow. you're so smart... 96? :o
    ugh........ i think my problem is, is that i'm not familiar with the problems.
    i'm not familiar with the structures of the problems. if you give me examples of how to do a particular problem, i can do something exactly like that.....but one that has different numbers or something.
    but if they somehow change a little....i get lost. hahaha.....that's not...good....
    ahhh.....
  • rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    ^Ah, see if you can do a very specific type of problem but not much else, something's wrong here.

The whole point of school is to make you think. So sometimes they'll ask you "out-of-the-box" questions that you've never seen before, in which you have to use whatever tools you know to come up with a solution. In order to succeed on the AP exam, and in life in general, you need good problem solving skills.

Here is an example problem:
    Q: A clock has hour and minute hands that are 4 cm and 6 cm, respectively. At exactly 2:00 pm, how fast is the distance between the tips of the minute and hour hands changing?
  • PostcardgirlPostcardgirl Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    Calculus is not difficult at all after you learn it. There are only two things basically in calculus:derivatives and integrals. And they are kind of inverse to each other. So in order to do well, you just need to know how to set up and solve your derivatives and integrals. You get confused with problems word in different ways because you don't understand what they are really asking you. But if you break down the problem to pieces, you will find it is really easy. For example, probably it is from what you learn in AB, anyways ,just gives you a general idea. If a problem asks you to find the rate of change of the radius of a circle. You may not know how to do it. But if I ask you to find the derivatives of A given function A=πr^2 I am sure you should know how to do it. So what you really need to know when you see a problem you have never seen before, you need to interpret it and figure out what it is asking.
    Another example, displacement is like a function in respect to time, velocity is its first derivatives, and acceleration is the second derivatives. So if the problem asks you to find the velocity, you need to know that you need to take derivatives.
    Later on, it may ask you to find the area, then you need to know that you should take integrals.
    The key is to know what it is asking you about what you have learned.
  • pleiotropypleiotropy Posts: 107Registered User Junior Member
    Guys, I have the same dilemma
    What's different is that I understand the concepts and can solve all different types of problems. But I a really bad problem with calculations. My teacher gives ridiculously long operations and does not even allow us to use calculators. I have practiced a lot but still make careless mistakes :(
  • BearlolxBearlolx Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Don't even worry about it OP it's all about what teacher you have. My teacher puts different stuff quiz/test than what we prepare for all the time.
  • SampimSampim Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    @Postcardgirl- WOAH. okay. wow. that's EXACTLY my problem... O_O
    yea. i don't think i know how to interpret problems... :(
    you see, i had no idea how to approach the problem (rate of change radius thing) but i definitely knew how to do the second one when you reworded it.
    and the velocity displacement stuff...you just made it A WHOLE LOT clearer to me....
    i think breaking it down into bits and translating it into simpler concepts makes it easier?

ahhh...i don't know. i hate math so much >_< hhahaa
  • skyfallskyfall Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    most of the calc questions are translatable you need see which words mean derive the function or integrate. The only way u can get good at that is practice.