Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

The Term Paper (aka research paper)

DescuffDescuff Posts: 4,026Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in High School Life
Ok so as a senior, my classmates and I will begin the research paper. The reason being is that they want us to prepare for college... So here it is. I don't understand the point of the research paper. I never even heard any of my family members mentioning "research paper" outside of high school and/or college. So what's the point? Did this something the schools simply made up? Or does it serve a deeper purpose beyond college?
Post edited by Descuff on

Replies to: The Term Paper (aka research paper)

• rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    Well, you'll definitely be writing more and more papers when you're in college...
  • ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,959Registered User Senior Member
    Research papers are good preparation for college. You will have to write tons of them in college, so get practice now will help you in the long run.
  • DescuffDescuff Posts: 4,026Registered User Senior Member
    So in what college classes will I be writing research paper?
  • Niquii77Niquii77 Posts: 8,159Registered User Senior Member
    Um...English...and the like...in some if your science classes...the theory part of a lab can get lengthy like a short research paper...eh...yeah
  • MutaRiSCMutaRiSC Posts: 1,242Registered User Senior Member
    Your first research paper is in senior year. Lucky...
    I've only had one research paper and that was in 9th grade Pre-AP English. Never had one since :)
  • DescuffDescuff Posts: 4,026Registered User Senior Member
    Actually I had one Research paper in Honor English 9th grade too lmao. But it was only 3 pages at least and it was easy.
    I'm taking AP Lang. Research paper (teacher also call it term paper) that is now about 10-12 pages long (double spaced). Never typed that long before.

@Niquii: You just prove my point, if english is the only real class/course that does this then what's the point. I can imagine science doing this but not some ridiclous 10+ pages of a results of an experiment.
  • ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,959Registered User Senior Member
    I have done several research papers in high school. We do them every year in honors/AP English classes, same with are honors/AP social studies classes, wrote one research paper for honors chemistry and a few every year for various art classes, they are rather common at our school.

@Descuff for science it is common that you will write papers about various scientists, major scientific innovations and so on. It is possible that you would write similar things in math classes (I have a friend who wrote a 15 page math oriented paper freshman year of high school) and for English and social studies they are extremely common. I am shocked that you have not written one before, but be sure that this will not be your last.
  • sakacarsakacar Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    So sad. This thread just makes me want to cry. I hope, OP, that you are not applying to any LACs and are pre-professional.

This is the difference between kids who get into competitive schools and do well and kids who are really better off at state flagships. Students at my high school have to write a thesis - most are 75+ pages; many are published. This is IN ADDITION to a full AP load with at least one wasatch paper per class per semester. It is what you will be expected to do at any serious institution of higher learning, over and over again.
    This is the difference between kids who get into competitive schools and do well and kids who are really better off at state flagships.
    Why so srs??
  • enfieldacademyenfieldacademy Posts: 2,321- Member
    yeah it's really dumb. especially for students who have a really difficult time writing long things (like me). writing long papers is valued quite a lot in academia (the place really smart people inhabit), and somehow this value is transmuted down to undergrad education (and even some high schools apparently) where the kids (who are pretty dumb these days) have no business trying to emulate the peculiar activities of the really smart people and write these long papers.
  • aldfig0aldfig0 Posts: 832Registered User Member
    Whether you'll be writing lots of papers in college depends on your major/school/professor/etc. In my experience (I'm a biology major), I have written far less papers in college than in high school (for example, it's been 7 weeks into the quarter for me already and I've only written one 2 page paper (and it wasn't a research paper, but simply "here are a bunch of questions; answer them")). The only time I've written a research paper in college was when I took a class about research papers.
  • typeakidtypeakid Posts: 357Registered User Member
    At my school, we are required to write papers for every class for every semester. However, our research paper this year for English, since our teacher is a hippie, is actually more of a project. This was totally a transition from middle school when my research paper was a nine page fiasco :)

If it is to be, it is up to me.....
  • rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    I had to write a 15 page argumentative paper in sophomore year of HS.

Also, if you go into a math/science research field, you'll likely be writing papers on your own findings (e.g. experimental data on hexose transport rates, ultra-cold atoms, Riemann hypothesis). The page limit doesn't matter, but most papers I've read range anywhere from 5-6 pages to over 50. The proof of Fermat's last theorem was over 100 pages long!
    ^ Those theories!

For my AP Physics B labs, we have to do everything. The thing I dread everytime we do a lab (which is about every week) are the theories. Even though they're nowhere near college level, my theories take up anywhere from 2-4 pages on notebook paper.