Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Would You Go to a College Where You Were Waitlisted?

SerenityJadeSerenityJade Posts: 1,221Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in High School Life
My AP Lit teacher told a story a few weeks ago when she was talking about college applications and acceptances about a student she had a few years ago. This girl was upper level good student. She and her parents always had this dream school picked out. The responses came from this dream school telling her that she had been waitlisted. She had acceptances from 3 equal level colleges. Her parents encouraged her to wait to see if a spot was available at the "dream school". She decided she wasn't going to wait telling her parents that if the college didn't want her, it wasn't where she was supposed to be.

So, that was my teacher's cautionary tale that waitlisting really means they don't want you but you're still good enough to get in sorta.

Anyway, would you ever wait instead of going somewhere else if you were waitlisted at your dream school?
Post edited by SerenityJade on

Replies to: Would You Go to a College Where You Were Waitlisted?

• CE527MCE527M Posts: 4,567Registered User Senior Member
    Depends. I have two schools I equally like, so if I was waitlisted to school A but accepted to school B, then I`d go with school B.
  • ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,971Registered User Senior Member
    If it was my dream school and I had not been accepted to any other schools with as good of a pre-med program, yes. Otherwise no.
  • AmicaMomAmicaMom Posts: 150Registered User Junior Member
    I did. I applied to Whitman, and was waitlisted. I got in off the wait list in the summer, but by that time I had accepted another offer and thought - bah heck with them. I did, however, transfer there for my sophomore year and had a great college experience.
  • aomameaomame Posts: 125Registered User New Member
    I probably wouldn't, mostly because i'd have so little time to accept the offer. It doesn't seem smart to hedge my bets unless I knew I was getting off the waitlist. Then again, i'm assuming you mean if you knew you were going to be accepted off the waitlist?

I like all of the colleges i'm applying to, so if I was waitlisted at school A i'd go to B instead.
  • sharkersharker Posts: 472Registered User Member
    If I had gotten into similar schools like the student in your example, I'd probably just go to one of those instead of trying my chances at the waitlist.