Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP US Govt. Self-Study Materials

switfrancswitfranc Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited December 2012 in High School Life
Hi, I'm a student currently living in Thailand.

This year (Junior Year), I am taking AP Comparative Governments, and I think it might be a good idea to do AP US Govt exam as well, since I heard that US Government isn't as challenging as others. However, my school doesn't offer AP US Govt course, so I decided to self-study. In Thailand, it is very hard to find international textbooks, especially about this subject. So I got myself two review books (Barron's and Princeton), since the only way to get myself a textbook would be ordering it from the States. This will cost A LOT!

My question is can I just use review books to prepare myself for the AP US Govt exam coming in May. Do I need to get other prep material as well? I do have time to self-study, I guess. As I'm taking AP Comp Govt, I think I will be absorbing some additional background for the US Government since I believe there is one chapter in my Comp Govt textbook that covers US Politics.

PS. This is my first post on CC, so it might take sometime for me to reply. Sorry for my grammar mistakes too.

Thank you very much!
Post edited by switfranc on

Replies to: AP US Govt. Self-Study Materials

• kypdurronkypdurron Posts: 2,216Registered User Senior Member
    Hello, Im Homeschooled and taking this subject:

I currently use: Wilson's government 10th edition Note: You can get a cheaper Used textbook that was made before 2009. As long as it has most common Subjects you will do fine)
    Also get the SG for the book

Then buy the REA CrashCourse
  • CedardogCedardog Posts: 312Registered User Member
    I used the Princeton Review and got a 3 on the practice test and a 5 in real life. Same thing happened for AP World for me too.

I didn't do much studying because my life is centered around politics lol, except for memorizing Supreme Court cases and some parts of government and the budget that I didn't know or had trouble with at the time. Good luck
  • switfrancswitfranc Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Ok, thanks for all your answers. Unfortunately, my life isn't centered around American politics, lol. Fortunately, during the election day, I was invited to attend the US Embassy event, so they gave me one small book about American politics. I hope that it will help me as well. Since I got both Barron's and Princeton, will they cover most/all of the topics on the AP test? Thanks in advance :)