Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Precalculus Math Class Too Easy... Any Suggestions?

pidudepidude Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2012 in High School Life
Hi guys!

I am new to CC (as a user)... hopefully I'm starting this thread in the correct forum.

I'm a freshman in high school who has been placed into PreCalc. However, the class is way too easy for me. At my high school we have a block schedule so our classes are approx. 100 mins long. This makes me hate my PreCalc class even more. We spend nearly an hour reviewing homework from the previous nights (we have a few nights to do homework because we have a block schedule) and I just can't stand my class. Because of this, I have no motivation to participate in class and have been marked down in participation. I feel like I know all of the topics already; it's all review. Can you guys give me some tips on how I can survive in my easy class and be motivated to actively participate. What do you do to get the most out of an easy class?

Thanks in advance!
Pidude
Post edited by pidude on

Replies to: Precalculus Math Class Too Easy... Any Suggestions?

• tacoburritotacoburrito Posts: 94Registered User New Member
    Just live through it. I'm sure the difficulty of the class will spike sooner or later.
  • sarainbowsarainbow Posts: 162Registered User Junior Member
    Just enjoy it. Personally I like easy classes, they're fun and chill. You'll miss it later. I wish I was still in precal :(
  • CE527MCE527M Posts: 4,527Registered User Senior Member
    Just enjoy....you`ll later wish you were in a easy class when sitting in a class that you feel is hard...
  • aldfig0aldfig0 Posts: 843Registered User Member
    I agree with conquerer7. Find harder problems. Or finish up your homework fast and do work for other classes.
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Posts: 7,347Registered User Senior Member
    If it's all review, why weren't you placed into calculus? It's possible the teacher is dumbing down the subject. (Is it honors or regular?) Look at the more advanced topics in the back of the book, or ask for some harder problems. I had an Algebra II teacher who gave me a calculus book and problems to do.
  • conquerer7conquerer7 Posts: 230Registered User Junior Member
    Alternatively, go through a much harder/better precalc textbook! Your understanding will be way ahead; the benefit will stay with you for competitions and math classes for a long time.

Precalculus
  • FollowTheReaperFollowTheReaper Posts: 509Registered User Member
    Have you guys started Trig yet? The first few chapters of Precalc are just review of Algebra 2, so that may be the problem, but Trig is some new information and it gets pretty difficult so just hold it out.
  • elf4EVAelf4EVA Posts: 1,417Registered User Senior Member
    Either request to transfer to calculus, or honors precalculus, if your school has it. Otherwise, I agree with the above posters: just find more challenging problems to do, such as those from the AMC/AIME.
  • preamble1776preamble1776 Posts: 3,509Registered User Senior Member
    Hears Freshman say "PreCalculus is too easy."

*dies*

Right now, I'm in 2nd Quarter - and PreCalc is still pretty much Algebra II Review... so I guess I'd agree that it is pretty easy. "Too easy" is a bit of a stretch. I'm never annoyed when a class is too easy... You wanna talk about easy? Try AP Environmental. I participate like a **** in that class since it is ALL common sense. Like, there's no such thing as a wrong answer in APES. LOLOLOL.
  • tangentlinetangentline Posts: 832Registered User Member
    Same situation. Even Calculus BC gets easy too quickly. (On the other hand AP Statistics is much much more boring and redundant number calculator busywork, much like the BC calculator portions anyways).

Things you can do: Tutor others, write your own problems / tests--it's especially fun to make challenging ones, compete. Oh and try to outsmart the teacher / prove yourself / use Calculus on your PreCalc tests.
  • saminator910saminator910 Posts: 231Registered User Junior Member
    Dude, I've had the same problem, my honors precalc class is so easy. I don't do it, but you could always act like a know it all in class to get the participation up. I don't know how strict your school is about Calculus transfers, mine is very strict, we had a literal mathematical genius(exaggeration) who was forced to stay in Precalc. But other than that I suggest working ahead, If you have a textbook then start doing later chapters as the teacher is going over homework.

@tangentline I've wanted to use Calculus on my precalculus tests but I thought that may be a bit obnoxious.
  • rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    Definitely look for harder problems. Try AMC12/AIME/USAMO problems. Maybe look ahead into calculus, but you may want to read the following article first:
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/articles.php?page=calculustrap
  • pidudepidude Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    I'm currently in Honors. And in response to enjoying the easy class thing, math is my passion and I have been impeded at school for many years. Fortunately I was able to take AP Stats class last year (even though its not much of a math class). I have seen the "Calculus Trap" article before but thanks for reminding me. I have taken classes through AoPS before, they are pretty good. As for the topics getting harder, I have covered all of the topics in the book we are using for PreCalc and am familiar with them and my teacher strictly follows the book so I don't really expect the topics to get harder. I'm one of those people who gets really bored in class when everything's too easy... I really like being challenged and being given hard work.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. I really appreciate all the help. Please keep the help coming!
  • jax123jax123 Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    LOL for us pre cal is precal and integrated trig, so its terrible