Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is it bad to just take as many AP classes as possible?

Hoping4StanfordHoping4Stanford Posts: 120Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in High School Life
I want to raise my GPA-and take honors/APs in order to do that.
Do universities commend that kind of rigor, or do they see it as a way to rampantly rack up GPA?
Post edited by Hoping4Stanford on

Replies to: Is it bad to just take as many AP classes as possible?

• MutaRiSCMutaRiSC Posts: 1,248Registered User Senior Member
    Oh, stanford. you so cray.

Dem Cowedges, dey def commend dat AP n stuff. Yo b, high gpa iz so gud.
  • Hoping4StanfordHoping4Stanford Posts: 120Registered User Junior Member
    haha-thank you. its just that some aps im planning on taking are so random (i.e. ap art or ap computer science) and so unrelated to my interests-i don't want them thinking that i took it for the SOLE reason of trying to raise my gpa. sorry- i don't quite know how to explain it. but thank you for your answer-it made me laugh
  • conquerer7conquerer7 Posts: 230Registered User Junior Member
    You are way overthinking and your chances will be the same either way. If you want to take a course, take it.
  • Jaqi100Jaqi100 Posts: 136Registered User Junior Member
    Yes and no. Originally students were supposed to take AP classes in subjects that they liked now students try to rack up as many as possible, which is ok, I guess. I did 3 AP and 5 dual enrollment and got into colleges.
  • clienkclienk Posts: 243Registered User Junior Member
    You can rack up quite a few AP's taking only things you are interested in, or would have to take the regular version for anyway. I've taken 13 (exams at least, something like 9 or 10 classes), and none were "just to take an AP."

If you have a choice between regular and AP, choose AP, even if you don't care about the subject, as it will most likely be more interesting/fun anyway.

If you have a choice between an AP in a subject you hate and an AP in a subject you find interesting, take the latter.

If you have a choice between an AP in a subject you don't hugely care about and regular in a subject you love, go for regular in the subject you love.
  • Hoping4StanfordHoping4Stanford Posts: 120Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks everyone! Lots of good opinions.