Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Physics textbook recommendations

AwflapjackzAwflapjackz Posts: 921Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in High School Life
This summer I hope to teach myself physics and test out. Is this a good idea? I want to have more space in my schedule to take another AP science.

If this seems doable, then suggestions on what textbook I should use would be extremely helpful. I hope I posted this in the right section...
Post edited by Awflapjackz on

Replies to: Physics textbook recommendations

• cc123sbcc123sb Posts: 455Registered User Member
    It depends what physics you're testing out of. Are you testing out of regular high school physics, honors physics, AP physics B or AP physics C?

I recommend you take the physics AP exam (b or c depending on your studies) to demonstrate your knowledge in physics. IMO, "testing out" based on loose high school criteria doesn't say much about your aptitude in the area.
  • AwflapjackzAwflapjackz Posts: 921Registered User Member
    Regular high school physics. My school has prerequisites for taking science classes. I took regular biology freshman year and I'm in general chemistry as a sophomore. I wanted to test out of regular physics so I could get out of the prerequisite for a future AP Physics class.
  • TeaspoonsTeaspoons Posts: 465Registered User Member
    Idk if it's a good or bad idea honesty (in relation to college apps) but just go to a used book store or Barnes and nobles and find a book you like and buy it for cheaper on eBay or amazon. Beginning concepts are pretty easy to understand (movement-air pressure so far), but I'm sure heat and water and electricity get tricky so I might seek some help with those subjects.
  • AwflapjackzAwflapjackz Posts: 921Registered User Member
    Okay, thanks.

I'm just not sure if doing this by myself will be too difficult...
  • enfieldacademyenfieldacademy Posts: 2,321- Member
    did you like flapjack?