Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How badly will I be affected by a 3.9 semester GPA?

HollowSunsetsHollowSunsets Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in High School Life
I've been having trouble adjusting from easy classes to difficult ones in my junior year and my GPA has taken the hit.
I'm not insane. Being unhappy with a 3.9 does sound a little weird..but from what I hear about all the flawless and immaculate applications I hear about on here, 3.9 nearly drives me to tears. It feels like I have hundreds of opportunities closed to me.
Post edited by HollowSunsets on

Replies to: How badly will I be affected by a 3.9 semester GPA?

• babyaztecbabyaztec Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Is this a weighted or unweighted gpa?
  • ian2buckzian2buckz Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    You've disgraced your family.
  • HollowSunsetsHollowSunsets Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
    It's unweighted. Don't remember off the top of my head what it is unweighted, but I'm taking 3 weighted classes.
    I had unweighted 4.0s my freshman and sophomore year.
    A 3.9 unweighted is almost perfect...? I guess I just don't understand your problem.
    I don't know, it just seems like so many other people have flawless GPAs.
    Ivy League schools are out of the question now, aren't they?
    Ivy League schools are out of the question if you continue throwing pity parties for yourself.
    :(
    I didn't mean to give that impression. So it doesn't really matter that much? If I do better next semester, I should be fine?
    If you got another 3.9, it still wouldn't matter. Ivy League schools don't judge you solely on your GPA. They all practice holistic admissions which means that every single part of your application is considered (test scores, GPA, essays, etc.).
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Posts: 6,467Registered User Senior Member
    Well, you can never have a 4.0 cumulative after you have a non-4.0 semester GPA (assuming these are unweighted). My GPA right now is like 3.999. If I had a 3.899 they'd probably let me round it up to a 3.9. But you can't round anything to 4.0.
    They're not going to care whether your GPA is 3.9 or 4.0. That's high enough. If the rest of your application isn't what they wanted, you won't get in.
  • Etuck24Etuck24 Posts: 1,275Registered User Senior Member
    Good luck getting into community college.
  • stressedoutttstressedouttt Posts: 3,992Registered User Senior Member
    there are a lot of kids who seem to be beyond excellent here, but don't fall into the panic hole. been there, done that *points to username*

a lot of those "perfect" applications are rejected for "less stellar" ones. GPA is only one part of the app. once you're above 3.8 it really goes over to the other components.
  • AerobugAerobug Posts: 773Registered User Member
    Please, please, please tell me you're a troll.
    I don't know why I associate with you guys sometimes...
  • tacoburritotacoburrito Posts: 94Registered User New Member
    I'm sorry, with a 3.9 GPA you can only get into ITT Tech.
  • kikikaylenkikikaylen Posts: 196Registered User Junior Member
    Haha, I have a 3.8 unweighted. You're making me feel worthless. Should I not be touching Columbia with a ten foot pole then?? /joking. Relax, no one's perfect. Make up for your GPA with other aspects of your life.
  • OrangeD00DOrangeD00D Posts: 394Registered User Member
    If you play your cards right, DeVry could easily become a match. :)
This discussion has been closed.