Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does listening to rap music make you dumb?

tiveTRAPtiveTRAP Posts: 17Registered User New Member
edited April 2013 in High School Life
So I am a pretty smart student, (33 on ACT), and I attend a rigorous and top ranked high school, but I also listen to rap music. I'm talking Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz, Luda, Drake, you name it. A lot of my friends find it rather weird that I am as smart as I am and listen to such dumb music, and there are even studies that suggest that listening to rap music makes you dumb. I don't listen to rap music to please anybody else, something about it just gets me in the groove. If I were to force myself to stop listening to it, do you think it would have any measurable impact on my grades, or should I just not care?

EDIT: After posting this I realized that this is a really dumb question, but I would still love to hear others input on the matter.
Post edited by tiveTRAP on

Replies to: Does listening to rap music make you dumb?

• biomedengkidbiomedengkid Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    Hahaha I find this funny because I worry about things like this.
  • HeyoHoHoHeyoHoHo Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
    Lol I got a 36, and I listen to the most ghetto music out there. I don't think it makes you any dumber, lots of my friends who are extremely intelligent listen to rap music.
  • ArtsyGirl13ArtsyGirl13 Posts: 2,960Registered User Senior Member
    Lol no, one of my smartest friends listens to a ton of rap. Personally I listen to rock and alternative. But really I only know one smart person who listens to a lot of classical music.
  • sosomenzasosomenza Posts: 2,122- Senior Member
    Watch out for Rock n Roll, also. It'll make you a commie!
  • HalogenHalogen Posts: 1,199Registered User Senior Member
    No one can listen to this, this, or this, tell me it makes me dumb, and have my respect.

Sadly, though, Eminem seems to have lost a little bit of lyrical genius with each consecutive album since Infinite...
  • Niquii77Niquii77 Posts: 8,224Registered User Senior Member
    I listen I rap.

I'm not stupid.

If someone tells you that rap makes you stupid, they're just uptight and jelly that they ain't listening to that good good.
  • kypdurronkypdurron Posts: 1,995Registered User Senior Member
    Dont argue with the Niquii
  • CE527MCE527M Posts: 4,181Registered User Senior Member
    No, I listen to a wide variety of music, including some rap. It helps motivate me when I'm doing homework or running/at track practice.

I don't really see how it would reduce your intelligence level. If people want to say rap does, then I'll argue that Taylor Swift and One Direction can cause you to lose a few IQ points too, but that's just me.
  • elc404elc404 Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    I don't think it makes you dumber. However, none of my "smart" friends listen to rap.
  • TheAtlanticTheAtlantic Posts: 1,107Registered User Senior Member
    No...and whoever tells you different is too pompous for their own good.

I'm more into R&B though
  • metsfanAJMmetsfanAJM Posts: 1,196Registered User Senior Member
    No, musical taste doesn't affect intelligence; listening to rap music doesn't make you stupider, and conversely, listening to classical music doesn't make you smarter. I don't listen to rap myself, but I know plenty of intelligent people who do, and it hasn't all-of-a-sudden turned them into idiots.