Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Genius vs. Hard Work

YakisobaYakisoba Posts: 1,145Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2013 in High School Life
So I've been watching a lot of Naruto lately and I remembered this question...will genius always trump hard work (with little talent), or will hard work eventually surpass genius?

Personally I think that most of the time geniuses will be above hard workers, but only because geniuses know the importance of hard work themselves, and not just because of inherent ability. "Lazy geniuses" are almost certain to be beaten by dedicated people.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Yakisoba on

Replies to: Genius vs. Hard Work

• preamble1776preamble1776 Posts: 3,150Registered User Senior Member
    I think hard work trumps genius in the real world, just because a lot of the time, people get by by their character and their grit, not by their sheer intellect. This is especially evident in politics. Politicians who are crafty and work hard to game the system and put their image out there tend to do a lot better than say just a typical brilliant/scholarly Harvard Law School graduate.
  • afroninja26afroninja26 Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    Hell yeah! I still watch naruto. I'm on shippuden episode 329 I think. I actually was watching gaara vs rock lee fight at the chunin exams earlier today to get motivated.

But anyways, hard work always, always, always trumps intelligence.
  • clementines2016clementines2016 Posts: 1,156Registered User Senior Member
    if the lazy geniuses are such geniuses, then i think they could realize how amazing they could be if they worked harder
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Posts: 6,569Registered User Senior Member
    It's usually not that black-and-white. There are different fields, different levels of genius, different levels of dedication.
    From what I've observed, people's opinions on this topic depend mostly on how they perceive themselves.
  • clementines2016clementines2016 Posts: 1,156Registered User Senior Member
    people's opinions on this topic depend mostly on how they perceive themselves.
    lol that's sooo true
  • STheartSTheart Posts: 429Registered User Member
    In high school, hard work definitely trumps genius.
  • RepedeRepede Posts: 2,232Registered User Senior Member
    In high school, hard work definitely trumps genius.

Umm...........
  • YUNGKHALIFA420YUNGKHALIFA420 Posts: 325Registered User Member
    College is different though right..
  • oonawong238oonawong238 Posts: 148Registered User New Member
    I would say that hard work will trump inherent genius in the end, simply because while hard work often gives birth to genius, genius doesn't necessarily result in hard work.
  • RepedeRepede Posts: 2,232Registered User Senior Member
    hard work often gives birth to genius

False.

10char
  • halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Posts: 6,569Registered User Senior Member
    College is different though right..

Not necessarily...there's still grade inflation and stuff.
  • workHaRd12workHaRd12 Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    "hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard"
  • preamble1776preamble1776 Posts: 3,150Registered User Senior Member
    There's this boy in a few of my classes who is absolutely, positively brilliant. He can speak and write intelligently about anything from Particle Physics to neo-conservatism. He is honestly one of the smartest people I've ever met - however, he's lazy. He's not a big fan of homework. In AP World, he'd get 100's on every test but half credit on all of his homework. This year, all of his notes are poorly BS'ed in classes like Gov and Lit, but his writing and analysis is brilliant.

If he put in maybe 30% more effort, he'd be valedictorian, but now he's stuck in the ranking of 30/500 (which by NO means is bad at all, but he's hands down smarter than everyone else, so its rather unfortunate). His sheer intellect guaranteed him a 3.6. Hard work would guarantee him a 4.0.
  • YakisobaYakisoba Posts: 1,145Registered User Senior Member
    Repede wrote:
    False.

10char
    Might Guy wrote:
    [Lee,] you are a genius of hard work.

10characters
  • drexterdrexter Posts: 607Registered User Member
    Genius and grades are two different things. You can't beat hard work. not a chance. Hard work always prevails. Sooner or later. But it surely overcomes genius in life.