Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

High School Class of 2018

Replies to: High School Class of 2018

• frazzledazzlefrazzledazzle Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    @arinuma You're understanding well. Similar things are done at Harvard and Yale that I have seen. They have large endowments which means that they can allocate more money into financial aid, which is great for us! I'm considering applying to a few schools that do that because, if I got it, I would have to pay little or nothing to go there.
  • arinumaarinuma Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    @frazzledazzle I understand their policies well enough. What I don't understand is our fear of applying to those schools based on the reason we wouldn't be able to pay- because if we get in, they go out on a limb trying to make it possible for us all.
  • dietcigdietcig Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    edited June 18
    @Hamlon OMG SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS WHO IBEYI'S MUSIC!!!! The people I've met who do recognize them only know them from their appearance in Lemonade. I'm so happy right now! I think they're my favorite artist so at the moment. I literally tell everyone I know to listen to them. I painted a portrait of Lisa for my art class last semester. Noname is also great! I will definitely listen to those other two artists. Oh and "Night Drive" by Ari Lennox is a jam.
    @010323026877 lol I was also very confused and didn't know that he is Blood Orange.

you guys should pm me (or post) your spotify playlists! I haven't updated this one in a while but it's filled with songs that I like to show people https://open.spotify.com/user/thxfrthvenom/playlist/692a9Ac94JuTWxj5iTQmus
    lol please ignore my emo username from when I was a 13 year old kid who loved My Chemical Romance.

more music recs: Ari Lennox, Dentia and Sene, Run River North (indie rock), CUCO (slow songs that make me feel like I'm time traveling), Kevin Abstract, Tus Amigos Nuevos (also rock but en español)
  • 010323026877010323026877 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @Hamlon @dietcig haha I was debating on whether or not I should call him by his real name or Blood Orange when I first posted that! I had no idea he was Blood Orange either until I found out that he did the score to one of James Franco's movies. and I would be totally interested in sending y'all my Spotify stuff, I kind of have an eclectic music taste too
    @dietcig I looked at your Spotify playlist and got really excited when I saw Time Machine because I saw COIN in Dallas a few weeks ago!
    @arinuma There are still fees such as traveling, laundry, and other personal items that might make it difficult for low income families to afford private schools. There recently was a gofundme campaign for a senior accepted to Harvard for these extra fees. On paper, my family has a high income and wouldn't qualify for much financial aid. But I know that my parents help out their siblings and parents a lot. That's why I'm not too sure about applying to more than one Ivy.

@010323026877 Time Machine is definitely my favorite. I was going to see them a couple nights ago but I didn't feel like driving to Beverly Hills.

June ACT scores start coming out in two days!
  • papaya12papaya12 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Is anyone else nervous for AP test scores? This is my first year taking them and I feel like I either aced them all or failed completely lol.
    @dietcig Uh oh, I never knew that. Now I'm beginning to feel worried about paying.
  • xxluvforeverxxxxluvforeverxx Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    @papaya12 I took the AP Lang test and didn't set my watch for an hour on the multiple choice. I went too slowly and had to guess on two passages. I'm screwed.
  • oPhilipposoPhilippos Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    edited June 18
    @dietcig Your music taste is so great omg. I've been progressively falling into indie rock stuff and your playlist had a bunch of great bands that I'd never found before. Just wondering, but how do you find new bands? COIN and Bleachers and Depeche Mode I've heard on the radio, but how did you find all the rest?
  • oPhilipposoPhilippos Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    lol did i just get censored for a text acronym what sorry mods I sometimes forget that acronyms stand for curse words sometimes lol
  • 010323026877010323026877 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @oPhilippos if you like indie rock you should try listening to the Shins, Real Estate, Arcade Fire, or the Smashing Pumpkins! there's also this song by Ghostel called "Buckley Get Your Gun" that I've really been liking too. Indie rock is kind of a broad genre though so maybe the kind of songs you like are different from mine
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 1,328 Senior Member
    @arinuma when your family makes 250k a year and is giving you 75K for college total top colleges are unaffordable bc they don't give merit aid and I'd rather not go into debt when any abet accideted school is fine for engineering. (Actually the ivys generally are not great for engineering but that's another issue)

I never let people copy my homework. Goes against my principles and I don't like the kind of people who would ask anyway. Also don't have any AP scores this year bc I did all dual enrollment. Waiting on my sat subject tests tho ahh.
    @papaya12 I'm also anxious to find out what my scores are.

@oPhilippos on Spotify you can see Similar Artists on the bottom of every artist page. I listen to those artists to find new songs. small. I also spend too much money going to concerts lol. I make an effort to listen to the opening acts so I'll enjoy their sets more. Also, the "alternative" radio stations near me have an hour at night to highlight upcoming local bands. Hunny are pretty good local act and still new-ish!

Do AP scores need to be sent to colleges like SAT/ACT scores? Or do you self report them on the Common App?
  • Marg532Marg532 Registered User Posts: 302 Member
    @dietcig I'm pretty sure you self report, and when you commit to a college you send the official scores through college board in order to get the credit/placement/fulfilled requirement that the scores would get you. Although I'm not 100% sure either...
    I used to go to a school where cheating was so common they would snatch the top students final paper and copy it and none of the teachers would dock points.
    But this year, there isn't any work to copy since lots of the quizzes are online or copying means failure and I moved out so things are nicer!