Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

High School Class of 2018

Replies to: High School Class of 2018

• arinumaarinuma Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    @snowfairy137 I am sure I will not have to take out a loan because if I will either go to my state school OR go to a top school for practically free since they promise to meet 100% or so of financial need.
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 1,328 Senior Member
    @arinuma that's great. And I won't apply to top schools because my "100% of financial need" is zero. I can go to other schools for practically free because of nmf.
  • ak2018ak2018 Registered User Posts: 2,743 Senior Member
    So I'm about to write my first Common App essay in an hour and I'm feeling a little nervous, any tips?
  • arinumaarinuma Registered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    @ak2018 It isn't the real thing, just your first draft and can sound as good or as terrible with zero repercussions.
  • lycorislycoris Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Can anyone recommend AP Chem review books and their pros and cons? I'm trying to pre study for my senior year. :)
  • sewin2musicsewin2music Registered User Posts: 217 Junior Member
    @lycoris I had AP Chem this past year and used Barron's to study. It was pretty good, a bit of unnecessary information like names of people, but I feel like it was really helpful! There isn't very much space for annotations, but it is fairly easy to read and offers plenty of practice problems. Just remember to review titrations...I might have not done that...oops....

Also, I really like the National Math and Science Initiative Notes and Video Explanations! They are online and have really good explanations for ALL of the topics! Perhaps go through some of the first videos that correspond with your textbook before school; also, use these throughout the year and before the AP exam!
  • apraxiamomapraxiamom Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    My son is using AP chem for dummies.
  • LeopardFireLeopardFire Registered User Posts: 520 Member
    I got the last of my final exam results today, now it actually feels like school is over. July isn't going to be fun with AP and SAT scores, though...

Does anyone else have a ton of summer work? If AP teachers feel the need to get 1-2 units out of the way before school even starts, perhaps College Board should consider refining AP course material...
  • acomfysofaacomfysofa Registered User Posts: 220 Junior Member
    Bad news, apparently I can't take IB courses because my current IB coordinator is moving away, and they aren't sure if the new IB coordinator will be furious at the school and report to the IB if I'm placed into IB courses. So then I tried AP courses at my province's online school. ...and apparently only select schools can take AP courses online.

My guidance counselor suggested a private online school, but courses are us$400 a semester (so us$800 a 2-semester AP course). And I'm not rich enough to afford even one course.

Meaning, IB and AP are not possible for me to take unless I manage to switch schools.

So I took the next best thing: take honor classes at my province's online school as I qualify for those. Here is the most rigorous course load my school will let me take for next year :)

Advanced English 12
    Advanced Chemistry 12 [instead of IB Chemistry]
    Advanced Physics 12 [instead of IB Physics/Biology]
    Biology 12 [instead of IB Physics/Biology]
    Calculus 12 [instead of IB Math SL]
    Pre-Calculus 12 [instead of IB Math SL]
    Global History 12
    Law 12/Multimedia 12/Global Politics 12 (one of those three electives to fill my schedule)
  • madison2000madison2000 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    edited June 19
    @LeopardFire Yes!!! I literally have so much work over the summer. For AP Lit I have to read two books, one nonfiction with basic questions for the chapters and the other that has stuff about symbols and characters. I don't really mind because usually for my school we have to read a book over the summer for any English course. For AP US Gov I have to do weekly current events in a specific style and then take notes on some of the federalist papers which we'll have a quiz on. For AP Calc AB I have 14 sets of questions for review in order to make sure all my math is caught up for the class. Since I am taking AP Human Geo online (honestly just to boost my GPA but I find it interesting) I won't have any summer work for it. I haven't started except for attempting the current events but we have to match them to a certain concept like the POTUS or congress and I have been having a hard time trying to find stuff that works for it.

On top of all the summer work I am also spending 30 minutes a day studying for the ACT.

Last year for APUSH I literally spent 10 hours on my summer work because it was so much stuff, luckily it isn't that bad this year I just have AP multiple classes.
  • Marg532Marg532 Registered User Posts: 302 Member
    For AP Gov, our teacher gave us readings on court cases and worksheets to fill out based on the readings, and also a packet to do on the Constitution (found in the back of our textbook). The court cases are what she has the regents US History/Government kids do... it's a bit strange.
  • madison2000madison2000 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    @marg532 The reason we don't focus on court cases and the constitution is because you have to take APUSH to take AP Gov and we also take civics (required by our state) sophomore year so we are kind of required to already have a foundation both of those.
  • HamlonHamlon Registered User Posts: 1,037 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    @dietcig @010323026877 Y'all are literally the only people I know that listen to artists like Blood Orange and Ibeyi! If y'all have any other artists to recommend keep it coming. I'm loving Ari Lennox. Do y'all listen to H.E.R., Jamila Woods, or Oyinda?
    @LeopardFire The only AP assignment I have is for Lit and that's to read Middlemarch and The Poisonwood Bible (I'm re-reading it and it's still as good as I remember!). I'm really surprised I don't have any assignments due for Chem though.
  • Marg532Marg532 Registered User Posts: 302 Member
    @madison2000 In our APUSH class we didn't do too much with court cases, so I see why she has us do them, but it's the fact that she uses the same format for the regents (normal) USH/Gov class that kinda bothers me. It's super easy, literally just pulling info out of a document and copying it on the sheet word for word lol
  • IridescentgazeIridescentgaze Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    edited June 19
    @Hamlon I'm a fan of Blood Orange and H.E.R.!