Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

National Youth Leadership Forum: Careers in Medicine 2014???

wldb15wldb15 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2013 in High School Life
I've decided to attend the NYLF in Medicine 2014 in Boston from june22 to june 30.
anyone else from cc going.????
Post edited by wldb15 on

Replies to: National Youth Leadership Forum: Careers in Medicine 2014???

• jheonojheono Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    Just wondering, why are you going? :P I got those letters in sophomore year and heard a lot of bad things about them (doesn't help for college -- just waste of money).

Hope you're not going just cuz you think it sounded good to add to your apps :( Otherwise if you're going to actually learn and get educated, kudos!
  • kansaskid1kansaskid1 Posts: 312Registered User Member
    I was thinking about going as well.

why is it bad, jheono?
  • pieguy321pieguy321 Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    i just got the letter in the mail today from them too...honestly i get so many of these "leadership programs" and "academies" but they all seem to just want to separate you from your money...the really good programs out there RSI and TASP accept applicants through a very difficult application process.
  • catchinginfinitycatchinginfinity Posts: 791Registered User Member
    I got it too, but I'm not going. It seems really sketchy and it's a lot of money - I'm not really interested in pursuing medicine, anyways.
  • liveleadloveliveleadlove Posts: 140Registered User Junior Member
    Hey guys, I've been getting those for all three years of high school. I thought they were a scam (2000 dollars for something I had never heard of..)
    BUTTTTT
    My mom told me that my brother (who now is at Harvard for law school went to the NYLF for Law and Criminology at Georgetown and LOVED IT. He had a great experience and said it was a lot of fun and that he learned a lot.
    Apparently it's not a scam, but it doesn't help any for college apps. If given the choice to do RSI, SSP, Tasp or another prestigious and low cost program, I would choose that instead.
  • wldb15wldb15 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    @jheono

I was searching for a summer program and thought that this is better than other programs such as those in the UK.
  • jheonojheono Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    Nono haha I'm not attacking its credibility, BUT I will say that after a lot of research I came to the conclusion that they kinda 'over-hype' it. And if your family's not financially set in its entirety, it's better if you don't go.

Blowing 2Gs on one summer program because of how special they make you feel is just one way to do business. That's all they are -- a business. As special as you are, they really over hype the fact that you were 'nominated' and you 'need to go'.