Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School Class of 2019

Replies to: High School Class of 2019

• IAmNotCreativIAmNotCreativ Registered User Posts: 800 Member
    I got 50% on the Barron's practice tests which was depressing, and 65% on the Kaplan's tests. I thought the test was pretty easy too, now I just want to crawl into a hole and cry because I want to go into engineering.
    Maybe CC has conditioned me to feel this way :-/
  • clanculariusclancularius Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    @IAmNotCreativ @BiaxialObject48 How did you guys prepare for it? I plan to take it later this year. Is it pre-calc heavy?
  • BiaxialObject48BiaxialObject48 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    @clancularius The two main books I used were Princeton Review and Kaplan. They were pretty accurate when compared to the test, but if you want even more difficult questions, you should definitely get Barrons. I used the previous 2 for my August test, but I'll definitely use Barrons for my next attempt.

Precalculus is definitely a must for this test. Everything I learned in Honors Precalculus came up on this test (including limits, but just the basics), with the exception of conversions between imaginary and polar (the formula for that is stupidly long).

I plan on retaking it in December since its after my first SAT attempt, but I'll talk to my guidance counselor first. A 760 is great for most schools, but I'm applying to MIT for computer science, so a perfect Math II score is going to be really important for that.
    I used Barron's and Kaplan books, to be honest, I don't remember what was on the test.
  • kimclan1kimclan1 Registered User Posts: 587 Member
    I think that I made some mistake on the reading bubbling or just did really bad because I missed 17 questions (yikes). At least I got an 800 math somehow.
  • batman0309batman0309 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    I have been doing a practice SAT today on khan academy and stopped after the first math section, and I am doing horrible, especially on the first math section. It gets difficult remembering math concepts when you are only doing math classes for a semester at school (block schedule). But congrats to everybody who has been getting high scores here!
  • bway5492bway5492 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    I got a 32 on the September ACT without really studying. I definitely want to study and retake it in hopes of a 34+, but I think I am going to wait a few months and focus on the PSAT for now.
    I've been studying for the PSAT (aiming for NMSF and hopefully NMF) and my highest score so far was a 1480 with an NM index of 221, this isn't high enough for my state (Maryland), but hopefully I can improve before Oct 11.

@batman0309 Have you been taking the practice tests or have you been doing the mini practice sections? If you jumped straight into the full length practice tests you should probably work on the mini sections and review every question you got wrong and work on understanding exactly what it is that you don't understand. If that doesn't help you bring up your score, maybe tutoring is the way to go.
  • batman0309batman0309 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @IAmNotCreativ Yeah I kinda jumped right into it because I wanted to see how much I knew or can accomplish without any sort of preparation, and clearly I needed that preparation. But I plan on doing the practice sections as much as possible before the PSAT. Being that I do not have the best ECs, these tests are extremely important, so I need to get the highest scores possible, and I hope I can.
    @IAmNotCreativ you're so close to Maryland's cutoff right now and you have a really good chance to make it. Keep going strong!
  • ThePrimerThePrimer Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey guys! Fellow '19er here. Just wondering, how many of you are into writing and STEM/social science/graphic design and would be interested in contributing to a new educational website by either editing or writing articles and/or creating infographics? If this sounds at all appealing to you, please pm me for more information! I've actually been lurking in this thread for a while now and noticed that there are a lot of very smart, curious people here who may be interested, so I thought I'd ask. :) (If this isn't allowed, please let me know!)
  • literallyliteralliterallyliteral Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    also taking the PSAT but not too focused on NMSQ. just want to see how much minimal studying has improved my score over the last year lol. got a 1340 last year off 0 studying.
  • CharlotteLetterCharlotteLetter Registered User Posts: 533 Member
    SI in my state is about 215. My SAT (with a little study) from last spring was 214, so I have a chance either way. I'm going to take 2 practice exams next Friday and call it good because I don't have time to study and am sick of CollegeBoard exams anyway. If I make NMF, I get a free ride at my state uni for my (probably) 2nd year though.
    Can't believe the PSAT is this week. Too bad New York has such a high cutoff for National Merit.
  • idontlike4sidontlike4s Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Honors Anatomy
    Ceramics
    AP English Literature
    AP Physics 1 & 2?
    Dual Enrollment?
    Actually could someone give advice on what to take? My school offers a large variety of AP courses and I will have completed the more challenging courses by the end of this year.

Freshman APs:
    AP Macro-Economics
    AP US Government
    AP Environmental Science
    AP World History
    Sophomore:
    AP Biology
    AP Statistics
    AP Computer Science
    Junior:
    AP US History
    AP Psychology