Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School Class of 2019

1364365366367368370»

Replies to: High School Class of 2019

• IAmNotCreativIAmNotCreativ Registered User Posts: 800 Member
    Can you do dual enrollment full time?
  • CharlotteLetterCharlotteLetter Registered User Posts: 533 Member
    @idontlike4s You could take math, writing, science, or non-core subjects (theater, philosophy, etc.) Usually AP scores can place you out of the first semester (at least) of science at CCs and state directionals.
  • batman0309batman0309 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    Should I take challenging math/ science classes at CC? I do not want to be a STEM major, but I don't know if taking calculus, physics etc would show colleges that I'm challenging myself. Or should I just take normal math/ science classes for social science majors such as stats and not worry about taking more "rigorous" classes that do not relate to my major?
  • literallyliteralliterallyliteral Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    PSAT was pretty easy tbh, tiny bit of a struggle on the writing part but reading and calc-math was a joke. still not much of a chance that i qualify because california lol
    @batman0309 Take what classes interest you. Try to take at least pre-calc and calc or pre-calc and AP Stats, which will be Intro to Probability and Statistics, or something similar, at CC. IIRC most incoming students at top schools have taken calculus, regardless of major. Why are you in College Algebra at CC and Precalculus at high school at the same time? Usually CCs offer placement exams so that you can place directly into Calc 1, and College Algebra comes before Precalculus.
    @CharlotteLetter Yeah I'm sure tons of people take AP Calc at school even if they are not a STEM major, so that is why I wanted to know if I should go for it. But I am in College Algebra because I did not have the best Algebra 2 class, and they are strikingly similar, so I decided to take it so that I would be more prepared for SAT/ACT, and I am in pre calc because I wanted to reach the highest math offered at my school and also double on maths to be extra prepared, even though I am aware that the SAT and ACT do not really include Pre calc concepts.
    In regards to Calc, I would have to take Pre calc and trig as pre reqs for the class, because there is no way I will be able to test out of it. You think Pre Calc (along with trig) is a better choice than Pre Calc and Stats? If I end up doing Calc, I will most likely do Physics. That is why I am asking now, so that I can plan myself accordingly to be able to get to Physics. If I do not do Calc, then, obviously, I am not doing Physics UNLESS I take Physics w/ Algebra, which involves College Algebra and Trig as pre reqs.
  • OMPursuitOMPursuit Registered User Posts: 797 Member
    @ the PSAT:
    This year's math section was more interesting than I expected! Probably the hardest SAT math I've seen, lol.
    I made one painful sign error (rip) but everything else should be gucci.

@idontlike4s @batman0309
    @ Class recommendations:
    Take something proof-based. It's more fun than high school math classes, and it prepares you way better for college math. For the STEM-inclined I recommend an honors calculus session with an appropriate focus on proofs, and for the humanities-inclined I'd suggest something like an introductory course in graph theory. One of my grad student buddies taught a class like that last semester, and I hear his students (a very diverse mix of humanities majors and STEM peeps) had a ball.
    edited October 14
    How do you all think you did on the PSAT (for those not taking it the 25th)? The math section on today's was super easy, but writing was abnormally hard and reading was average or a bit easier than usual. On practice I normally get -2M, -2W, and -9R... I'm estimating I got somewhat better on reading, somewhat worse on writing, and perfect math, though. I really want to get NMF, and it'd be sad if I didn't get NMSF since SI in my state is likely to be around 215.
  • Mathophile26Mathophile26 Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    Writing was definitely harder than usual since there were so many of those sentence placement and yes/no + reason questions... I've always felt confident on missing none of writing up until now
  • kimclan1kimclan1 Registered User Posts: 587 Member
    I agree with @CharlotteLetter and @Mathophile26 that the writing seemed brutal and some of my friends didn't finish! I usually find writing to be extremely objective with following grammar and logical syntax but this one had a lot more of the complex questions that feel like they belong on the SAT. I also feel that the reading was difficult and the last few passages I barely finished. The math section seemed more "basic" than usual to me with a lot more word problem algebra questions. I don't think my SI will be a 221 and will probably be closer to like a 216-218.
    @OMPursuit That sounds awesome! But, my CC does not offer anything like that. Stats (STA 2023) would be the closest thing I can take relating to graphs. I am thinking about just doing Trig so that way I can do algebra-based physics, because the calculus one involves too many pre reqs for somebody like me who is not even STEM. Then, I plan on doing Stats sometime senior year.
  • TN034154TN034154 Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    guys please do me a favor and look at my last post and give me some constructive criticism.
  • Luska19Luska19 Registered User Posts: 125 Junior Member
    @TN034154 I'm not sure what criticism you are looking for? You state that you are on a pre med track. If that is the case then getting into a "top" college is insignificant. It should be all about what is the most affordable, where you will thrive, fit etc...how well you score on your MCAT and overall gpa is what matters for undergraduate not a prestigious college. Enjoy your undergraduate years because it will be a killer beyond that for a future pre med.
  • TN034154TN034154 Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    @Luska19 I dont really care about where I go as undergrad as long as I like their programs and opportunities (Research, ec, publications, etc) for pre meds. I was looking at colleges like BC, BU, JHU, CMU. I obviously have some matches in mind (state schools) which I dont really need to worry about