Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is vehemous a word?

prometheusprometheus Posts: 440Registered User Member
edited April 2006 in High School Life
Ok, I was writing an essay, and when I was writing it, I tried to find a word to describe something truly hideous. And just as I was stumped because nothing works (I didn't think of hideous yet), this word, "vehemous" suddenly came up! But of course, Word's spell check said it's wrong, so I checked with my dictionary, which turned up nothing. Then I tried to spell it other ways, and that didn't work either. Then, when I looked up on google, the word DOESN'T EXIST!! But there were other people who were equally befuddled by the origin of this word......

So, does anyone have a similar experience with this word, or could suggest its origins?

It's kinda haunting... as it's the middle of the night right now... and you hear people are confused about a word... that suddenly pops into your mind... which doesn't even exist...
Post edited by prometheus on

Replies to: Is vehemous a word?

• gianscolere1gianscolere1 Posts: 976- Member
    It sounds like a combination of vehement and venomous and maybe even behemoth. I checked on www.m-w.com, but the word doesn't exist there either; other words were suggested but nothing came close to the meaning you were going for. Interesting :)