Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

High School Class of 2021

Replies to: High School Class of 2021

• VANURSEPRACVANURSEPRAC Registered User Posts: 541 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hello @raventhemage and @FuturePICUNurse ,

This is my daughter's 8th grade schedule. First off her district call Honors "PreAP".

PreAP Geometry (gets High school credit)
    PreAP 8th grade English
    PreAP Social studies which is US History this year, it is not a high school class
    PreAP Science 8th grade
    PreAP Spanish 1 (which gets high school credit)
    Academic Pentathlon
    Robotics
    Art

Her high school GPA gets an extra grade point when the class is preAP, AP or dual credit.

If she took Biology as credit by exam, she would not get the extra point she will get when she takes preAP biology in 9th grade.

I will request if she can take both preAP biology and pre AP chemistry in 9th grade, this would allow her to take
    AP Chem in 10th grade
    AP Physics 1 (algebra based) in 11th grade
    and AP Physics C (calculas based) in 12th .

Also she will take the required PE as online school which her district allows and frees up a class in school that can be filled with a weighted class.

We are in Texas and class rank is very important here.
  • raventhemageraventhemage Registered User Posts: 378 Member
    How can she take Phys Ed online?
  • APSATScholarAPSATScholar Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    edited September 2016
    Hey Class of 2021 :)

Focus on earning good grades this year, but don't forget to have fun too! You may not have as much time to do that during your high school years, especially if you are planning to take Honors/AP classes.

-AP

@FuturePICUNurse how hard is it at your school to get 100s as your grade? (not on tests, on grades)
  • FuturePICUNurseFuturePICUNurse Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    @raventhemage It's not easy, but not too hard either. I have a 100 in my history amd science classes. My lowest grade is a 92 in Algebra 1 Honors, but I have test corrections to work on and our test today was easier than the review sheet.
  • VANURSEPRACVANURSEPRAC Registered User Posts: 541 Member
    @raventhemage, PE online is on the honor system of actually doing the physical exercise. but you do have test. The physical activity is of your choosing.
    edited September 2016
    @FuturePICUNurse Alrighty. At our school, everything is way too easy, and the only advanced option is for math (I feel like I already said this....? Idk....) However our science teacher is very understanding and is allowing the advanced science students to test out of unit sections and have independent science study instead, which I think is great! As for now, I have all 100 in all my classes and a 99 in Geometry H (the only advanced option... :( )

Anyways I was just asking to see the difficulty differences. I think my school is trying too hard to level education, and rumor is, the school board has denied advanced classes for subjects besides math several times, although the reasons may be under-funding.

How are your teachers teaching? Are they using more lecture-style, hands-on, or just giving you worksheets and having you copy down the answers from the textbook? I think my teachers this year are considerably better than my teachers last year in terms of teaching things.

@VANURSEPRAC I wish my school had that option! The mandatory CP level health and PE classes bring down GPA too much in high school.
    @raventhemage I will list it by class.

English- More lectures, lots of reading and vocab

Algebra- Good mix between lectures and hands-on

History- Straight book work, very little lectures

Science- Same as Algebra
    @FuturePICUNurse Oh wow, last year my history teacher just had us take notes on the textbook, and do worksheets, he didn't teach AT ALL.

Anyways, this year for me:

History: Mostly lectures and philosophy stuff, with some activities (not hands-on though)
    Health: So far we only watched an alcohol documentary and wrote five sentences describing ourselves.
    Family Consumer Sciences (FCS): Teacher shows us how to do stuff, and then we do it. Currently making pajama pants.
    Geometry: Fast-paced lectures, no need to take notes (she gives us the notes already), and worksheets for hw on the learned class material.
    Science: ALL hands-on
    Spanish: Healthy mix of lectures and fun games
    English: same as Spanish

Maybe I'm asking too many questions :-S but does your school have Science Olympiad???
    @raventhemage Never stop asking questions! Lol... Anyways, I do not think so but I am not sure.
    @FuturePICUNurse Okay.

:bz How's life been going?
    @raventhemage Pretty good. I stopped someone from committing suicide yesterday.
    @FuturePICUNurse That definitely good (the prevention part, not the suicide part.)

It saddens me to think that high school is going to be so stressful. Sometimes I don't think I will be able to handle the workload :-S but then there are the people I know that are doing well and are still sleeping 8 hours a day, and then I feel better.
  • preciousdiamondpreciousdiamond Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    Wow! The Class of 2021 already! My advice: Have fun in 8th grade and enjoy the last bits of freedom before testing and high school drama. It might seem like it's far off, but trust me, you'll want to lay back a bit. I wish I would've told myself that in 8th grade, instead of worrying about the SAT and AP class selections. High school is stressful only if you make it that way; start out slow and adjust to your new surroundings, and then take off from there. Find out your interests starting now, and in freshman year, and explore what you like. That way, you're setting yourself for success in the long run rather than getting worked up to early :)
  • Crouton1262803Crouton1262803 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    edited October 2016
    Ok I guess there are more of us here than I thought! I'm not on this site much, I don't want to worry too much about college yet haha. My schedule this year is:

Pre-AP Algebra 2

Pre-AP Geometry

French 1B

Science Honors

English Honors

Programming in Java

PE

US History Honors