Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Should I take more APs junior or senior year?

2»

Replies to: Should I take more APs junior or senior year?

• IAmNotCreativIAmNotCreativ Registered User Posts: 734 Member
    edited August 11
    What classes are you planning on taking senior year?
    Based on your prospective schedule and interest in STEM, I would recommend:
    TOK
    IB Film Studies HL
    IB English HL
    IB Math HL
    IB Physics SL
    IB Mandarin SL
    IB History SL
    Digital Art

I would reccpmend taking an easier senior year load, with 3 HLs and one or two SLs. You will be plenty busy with college apps.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 964 Member
    edited August 11
    Assuming english and history are mandatory HLs, and you take math, the APs are a way to fill in the gaps if you are a stem kid. The film must be a real passion if you are aimed at stem, as most IBD kids would do their 4th HL in science or a second science (as HL math is only for the very mathy. Even quite strong math kids do SL and then BC calc/ap stats over HL math)
  • maggie20mtmaggie20mt Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    @gardenstategal That's very helpful. Thank you for responding and helping me out a lot! I just don't want to run out of the easier, but weighted classes to take after Junior year. I was thinking about saving the easy class for Senior year. I have already taken all the other easy, but weighted classes during my lower classmen years.
    @sybylla History isn't a mandatory HL for me. I really don't want to take two sciences at the same time because I am afraid of the workload; therefore, I chose the more common science, Biology, and a 6th subject that isn't notoriously hard or anything, IB Film. Also, I am confused about HL Math because at my school I think that HL Math is AP Calc junior then BC Calc+AP Stat senior. Is that not how it works??
    @IAmNotCreativ Thanks! How should I go about taking an easier senior year load when I want to take all weighted classes to keep my weighted GPA up, but I already took all the easy, non-AP weighted classes (with the exception of Digital Art)??
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 2,639 Senior Member
    Colleges look at unweighted grades. The only reason to try to get a higher weighted GPA is because you're concerned about rank. But colleges are just looking for top performers, not necessarily the ones who gamed the system to be val.
    @gardenstategal None of the other unweighted classes really stand out to me. Therefore, I would rather choose a weighted class than an unweighted class if both have choices that are not interesting to me. I just want one class each year that will give me a break from all my other AP and IB classes. But, I think that I might save the one easy class for senior year, and take an AP as the one elective that I get to choose this year.
2»