Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Will I still get into a good* college if I only take up to precalculus?

Replies to: Will I still get into a good* college if I only take up to precalculus?

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 7,842 Senior Member
    This just showed up on my FB newsfeed...

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/09/09/549133027/for-teens-knee-deep-in-negativity-reframing-thoughts-can-help

Research has found that attempted "thought stopping" can actually make the idea stickier. Rather, you want your child to face the thought, thoroughly examine it and replace it with a more realistic and helpful perspective.

More realistic and balanced thinking leads to positive action, which, in turn, tends to bolster confidence, enhance self-esteem and result in greater happiness.

This is what posters have been trying to do -- ask questions to help you replace your catastrophizing with realistic scenarios. The article might be worth a read.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,612 Senior Member
    That is an excellent article @bodangles . Should be required reading for everyone.
  • JadeRockJadeRock Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    Please do not stress over every single little thing about the application process. It is annoying? Yes. But, that does not mean it should run your life in high school. If you really are a smart person and go-getter as you claim to be, which I believe you are considering the amount of thought and effort you are putting into this, you will get into a college you like if you keep at it.

Now go have fun! Stop thinking about college, you'll feel better.

Signed,

Some college freshman procrastinating work on CC that's never taken calculus.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,931 Senior Member
    But since I want to do bio in college isn't it better to have that preparation?

Even bio majors often need to take intro physics in college. IMO, it's better to have a high school taste of all of three of bio, chem, and physics before taking the advanced class in any of them.
  • h0kulanih0kulani Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    ^ @AroundHere is right. I'm about to apply as a bio major, and I made getting at least a basic level of all three a priority. You need to get a bit of everything to see exactly where you stand, and what subjects you're truly interested in. Physics is an incredibly important class, and having a basis in it will help you understand other classes. The sciences all reach out to each other, and having an understanding of chem, bio, and physics is the key to doing well in each class. Also, maybe at this point your counselor won't let you double up, but if you continue displaying a very high level of achievement, he/she will take note of that and likely trust you enough to venture out into a more challenging course load. As for the math, I have seen people get into top-notch colleges with a lower level of math, but if you're actively interested in learning more math, perhaps try taking the Alg II class over summer. It's the easiest one to fit in over summer, and if it doesn't go well, you can always take it again during the school year. Overall, don't fret so much about how every detail will look to college. Focus on what you have already, and make those factors the best that they can be.
  • futurecollege00futurecollege00 Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    Ok, I'll ask my parents to talk to the principal and guidance counselor.

I understand what everyone is saying about taking physics, though. Of course, I can always double up on physics and AP bio senior year!

I'm sorry for offending anyone; all I meant to say is that my parents don't have much experience with college in general. They have told me that they quote "slacked off in high school" and they both took much longer than 4 years to graduate. I was just trying to explain how I feel pretty much on my own in this whole process. I understand that attendance at a state school or one that is regarded as mediocre isn't just for people who partied all through high school or who are bad students, and I in no way was insinuating that people who do go to those universities are bad people or anything.

So I keep asking my GC if I can take a summer school class to get ahead, and she keeps saying that it's, like, a law or something that you can't take a summer school class unless you have already taken it. However, I have some friends that have taken a class or two in summer school so that they could take a more accelerated class next year. Is this like a legitimate NY state law, or is my GC just uninformed and/or reluctant to tell me the truth?
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,931 Senior Member
    Your school since it is so small may in fact only offer credit recovery summer school classes. Find an alternative class you're interested in and ask specifically about that one.
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    For what it's worth, in my metro area, I have yet to see an in-person high school summer math course that isn't limited to credit recovery. Perhaps try a community college or something online.

As for the original question, I have often wondered the same. For a kid whose high school offers calc, but who is limited to precalc in 12th due to middle school math placement, how much of a detriment is that for application to a college that explicitly looks for calc? Can it really be said that such student had an opportunity to take calc?
    Right, but CCs don't offer Alg 2, do they? I mean, unless it's remedial algebra, but what would really be the point then? If i were to take s summer cc class, it would be precalc b/c for regents classes, you have to take the class and the regents exam but it has to be, like at your school.
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    edited September 10
    You have two school years to think about whether taking summer precalc at a CC is a good idea for you or not. This does not need to be decided right now. At the end of junior year, you would want to verify what would happen with your senior schedule if you were to take precalc over the summer before senior year. When the time comes, consider speaking with a math teacher, one who likes you, rather than asking the GC first.
  • CottonTalesCottonTales Registered User Posts: 463 Member
    As I said in a previous post, look into online summer classes. They are NOT limited to credit recovery. You have been given a ton of good advice, now YOU need to do something. Or not.
    It's a good idea if it allows me to take a higher level of math
  • snowfairy137snowfairy137 Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    From what I've seen, precalc at CCs is often split up into two semesters, so you might not be able to take it all in a summer. Look up options in your area though.