Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Are these enough APs?

busystudent32busystudent32 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hello all,

I’m currently a sophomore in high school. Right now, I’m enrolled in a distance learning school, because the local school district sucks. Basically, I will get credits, and it is an accredited high school. Anyway, I have an A- average, I’m currently taking Biology, Agebra 2, World History, Spanish 2, and English 2. Last year I took Env. Science, Geometry, World Geography, Spanish 1 and English 1. Due to ‘complications’, I couldn’t choose my courses last year or this year. However, I am working to finish Algebra 2 early, so that I can move onto Precalculus. I’m also planning on taking Spanish 3 over the summer.

My family will be moving soon, and the high school is very good and has 24 APs. I won’t be taking all of them, because I’m not interested in some of the classes. Junior year I plan to take: AP Calculus AB or BC, AP English literature and comp., AP U.S History, Chemistry, AP Spanish, and AP Statistics. Senior year is: AP Calculus BC or college-level math, AP English lang. and comp., AP Psychology, AP U.S Gov. and Politics, college-level Spanish, AP Biology, and AP Microeconomics. So, I should have about 8 or 10 APs, depending on what they suggest. I’m planning to apply to top colleges, so how does this look? Will they take into consideration that I couldn't choose my courses for two years? These are all things I really like too..... thank you!

Replies to: Are these enough APs?

• bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    Don't take AP Stats...you don't need two maths. Also I would do Calc AB...I would want to make sure your math foundation is good before you did Calc bC. Consider Spanish 4 instead of AP Spanish if that exists, ifyou are not planning to do much with spanish later..

You need to add Physics somewhere.
    Also are you more of a STEM person or more of a Humanities person? You are taking APs in all areas...that might be a bit much.
  • busystudent32busystudent32 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I’m more of a humanities person, and I’ve never been interested in physics.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,083 Senior Member
    My recommendation would be precalculus Honors junior year, and Calculus AB senior year (or Calculus AB junior year, then see if you take BC or AP Stats senior year), especially if you're a humanities person. BTW, both calculus AB and BC are college-level math (AB= first level of college math for science and business majors, BC = second level of college math, for stem majors).
    Generally students take AP English Composition junior year, and AP English Lit senior year.
    Take Spanish 4 before AP Spanish Language.
    So, junior year would be AP Lang, APUSH, Precalculus Honors, Spanish 4H, Chemistry, one elective (could be AP Gov
    or AP Psych for example, or an honors English seminar or something in art)
    Senior year: AP Calculus, AP Spanish, AP Lit, AP History, AP Gov or Econ, physics.

As Stanford famously put it, it's not a game of who has the most AP's, wins. You need to have some of the important ones (AP Lang, APUSH) and AP's in your chosen field for consistency (ie., if you're into humanities, you need all Humanities AP's and several strong social science ones), but then the rest needs to demonstrate balance.
    Going from your current schedule to the proposed schedule, with more AP's than is wise, is not a good idea and will not make you "look good".