Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Hardest AP Course?

urcoolurcool Posts: 99- Junior Member
edited November 2013 in High School Life
What exactly is the hardest AP course in general terms? Like i know it depends on strngths but for the most part what is the hardest?
Post edited by urcool on

Replies to: Hardest AP Course?

• EmmelineEmmeline Posts: 2,734Registered User Senior Member
  • smder99smder99 Posts: 802Registered User Member
    AP Physics C is what ive generally heard...its two exams and requires a working knowledge of calculus and basic physics beforehand so due to its high prerequisites...its considered to be one of the hardest

for me though...im taking AP Physics C next year without ever having taken physics and taking calculus concurrently (we'll see how that goes)...but i think classes like AP US History that have just soo much content and detail are a LOT harder than the Math and Science AP exams

the Foreign Language ones are also very difficult because they involve 4-5 years of study in that language
  • virtuoso_735virtuoso_735 Posts: 1,876Registered User Senior Member
    APUSH I found quite easy...English Language wasn't bad at all either.

For me it would be sciences and math.
  • cjhsstudent847cjhsstudent847 Posts: 264Registered User Junior Member
    word on the street is that sciences are the hardests, and that Bio, chem and phys are pretty equally hard, but what do i know??
  • StrykurStrykur Posts: 1,759Registered User Senior Member
    AP Physics C is crazy, but AP Latin takes the cake. AP Biology is easy (for me it was), AP Chemistry is kind of difficult for some because of terrible teachers, and AP US History is one of the easier APs.
  • ZAK2012ZAK2012 Posts: 145Registered User Junior Member
    Really depends on the school.

In my school, US History and Calc are viewed as the hardest. Stat, Environmental, and Bio are the easiest, especially the first two.
  • iljets10iljets10 Posts: 541Registered User Member
    At my school, the hardest classes are AP Chemistry and Calculus BC, but that isn't at all based on the difficulty of the exam.
  • huskem55huskem55 Posts: 4,284User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    doesnt it depend on the student? for me, spanish, latin and french were a piece of cake (and im a white, native english speaker), where as the thought of ap chem still to this day makes me break out in hives.
  • urcoolurcool Posts: 99- Junior Member
    ok idk i guess physics c, calculus bc and french and spanish literature are the hardest
  • squiggle22squiggle22 Posts: 264Registered User Junior Member
    AP Physics C, AP Spanish, and AP chem if the teacher is horrible. (like mine)
  • Yoshi729Yoshi729 Posts: 504Registered User Member
    I would have to say AP Physics C hands down. At my school, our teacher is a materials engineer who runs AP Physics C similar to a full physics load in college, on top of mechanics and electromagnetism, he also covers thermo, optics, modern physics, the whole works BEFORE the exam.
  • IGotIn!IGotIn! Posts: 330Registered User Member
    AP Physics was pretty hard for me. Although, it did prepare me well for college.
  • lastchancexilastchancexi Posts: 404Registered User Member
    Phys C is definitely one of the most mentally stimulating courses I have taken. Some of that **** is just mindblow when you think about it.

But my AP Calc BC teacher was absolutely freaking crazy, gave us practice and past AP exam problems on every one of our quizzes and tests, starting in September. She pretty much sucked out all hope of a life from September to April, so for me, that was my hardest course.

It definitely depends on the teacher, and also the student. I couldn't get an B+ in AP English Lit to save my life, but Phys C Mech was ridiculously easy.

I think people find it hard because studying for it makes less of a difference than in any other high school course, it's about how you think mathematically, how you make sure you use all your knowledge to derive something instead of knowing it.
  • Dallasman88Dallasman88 Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    AP Physics C or BC calc
    but then again...these courses arent especially hard (at my school) for the students who actually take them. It's all relative. The hardest AP that the average student might take? Hmmm
  • OistrakhOistrakh Posts: 142- Junior Member
    AP World is definately crazy for someone whos never taken